Plexiglass Lids

elisium

Arachnopeon
Good day, everyone! This is my very first post on AB and of course it's about millipedes.

I want to repurpose my old 5 gallon fish tank because it has a very small crack near the top and I'm sure something will go wrong if I put water back in it.

I was thinking about using plexiglass with a small hole in it for ventilation (and so I can lift it easier) as a lid. Does anyone know where I can get it cut to size (I live in Ohio, US)? Since I'll be living in a small apartment, I can't cut it myself.

Any other tips/tricks about enclosures? Will 70°F be too cold for desert species or tropical species like Florida Ivories? Do you use a humidity gauge or eyeball it?

Thanks in advance!
- Eli

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
Lowes/Homedepot can cut them for you as well, but glass might be cheaper (they can cut that also). Plus, glass won't warp along the corners like plexi, though this might not be an issue for a 5 gal.
I just use command strips for handles sometimes.

Any other tips/tricks about enclosures? Will 70°F be too cold for desert species or tropical species like Florida Ivories? Do you use a humidity gauge or eyeball it?
All my guys are doing good at 70°F.
You can really just focus on the soil to be 'humid'. It'll look darker and feel damper than dry soil.
Someone told me that you'd want the substrate moist but not so moist than water drips when you squeeze it in your hands. I think it's pretty good advice.

elisium

Arachnopeon
Lowes/Homedepot can cut them for you as well, but glass might be cheaper (they can cut that also). Plus, glass won't warp along the corners like plexi, though this might not be an issue for a 5 gal.
I just use command strips for handles sometimes.

All my guys are doing good at 70°F.
You can really just focus on the soil to be 'humid'. It'll look darker and feel damper than dry soil.
Someone told me that you'd want the substrate moist but not so moist than water drips when you squeeze it in your hands. I think it's pretty good advice.
Thanks for that information!

Regarding humidity, I'm a bit more nervous than I should be due to the fact that I got millipedes a few years ago and they died from too low humidity. (To be fair, my situation was much different and I wasn't able to monitor their habitats like I should have.) I might grab a hydrometer just in case. ;;