Please tell me our sling is molting and this isn't a death curl D:

seezilla

Arachnopeon
Ok, I checked our versicolor sling before I left for work this morning. It seemed fine, was up at the top of the vial hanging out. Then Hubby txts me while I'm on the way home and says he hopes its molting because otherwise he is really worried about it. When I came home, I looked at the lil guy and he's on his back in the middle of the substrate legs sticking up in the air, kind of. :(

I tried to take a picture but it came out very blurry and I don't want to disturb the lil one too much if he is molting.

Man, I HOPE he is just molting and not dead. I'm gonna check on him later, but I'm going to be very sad if we lost him. We've been keeping him in our bedroom where the temps and humidity are much higher (the temp doesn't dip at night) than where I have Rozilla's enclosure set up. I spray the vial with water about once or twice a day depending on how much moisture I see. I really hope we've been doing everything right. My Pink Toe is doing very well, is eating pinheads and is making a web in the corner of its enclosure, so I figured that the versicolor would be doing fine as well. Now I'm not so sure.

I will see if I can get a little more light and get a picture to show everyone.

seezilla

Arachnopeon
That's what I was thinking, esp due to RobC's post yesterday about him mistaking one of his spiders during a molt for a death curl. I took a slightly better picture, but the quality isn't the best.

here it is, sorry its kind of bad and hard to see.

seezilla

Arachnopeon
I know, it's the best I could do. It's a horrible pic tho. :( You can kind of see the sling, its the darker spot. Heh I only have the camera on my phone. Most of the time it takes pretty good pics, but not today. Sorry about the poor quality.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know, it's the best I could do. It's a horrible pic tho. :( You can kind of see the sling, its the darker spot. Heh I only have the camera on my phone. Most of the time it takes pretty good pics, but not today. Sorry about the poor quality.
Thats ok , that sounded epic ... "its the darker spot", hahahahaah.

Try to cake a better pic, meanwhile keep her warm, humid and calm.

seezilla

Arachnopeon
Ok! My room is usually very humid anyway (where we keep the slings) since we have a 40g tank in here as well. I just needed some reassurance. This will be my first molt and I just needed to hear someone else say, hey, it's a molt, leave 'em be for now. But until she finishes, I think I'll be worried about her. Hopefully I'll have some good news to report later today or tomorrow.

Thanks guys, for reassuring this slightly paranoid T mama. :D

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It probably is just a molt, dont think about it in a couple of hours and VOILA!
New bigger Avic :)

seezilla

Arachnopeon
I'm sure you're right. So thank you! I'll let everyone know how the lil one does. :D

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, it's probably molting. I find with my avics, when they're smaller, they molt on the ground, because they don't seem to either have time or patience to make a hammock, but as they get bigger, they will make them with more ease, and then they will molt in a selfmade web hide.

So just sit back, breathe and wait for your baby to show off it's new suit :D

rbailey1010

Arachnopeon
I've got a versicolor sling that has been on its back for day and a half and has done nothing.........Maybe I should be worried.....We'll all just have to wait it out huh? Its the only thing we can do!

seezilla

Arachnopeon
I've got a versicolor sling that has been on its back for day and a half and has done nothing.........Maybe I should be worried.....We'll all just have to wait it out huh? Its the only thing we can do!
I hope yours pulls thru just fine. IDK I'm so new to this. We can wait together. LOL

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It may just be preparing for a molt. As I'm usually home, and I sleep very little, I see alot of what my T's do. When in heavy premolt, mine often flips over, then rights itself, and goes to have a drink, and then flip back over. I've no idea why they do this.. Maybe to try out the molting mat :p Anyways, I've seen several spiders apperaing to be flipped over for days,and doing just fine. Don't worry untill it smells.

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
A. Versi when they are about to die or is dying, usually they dont lie on their back. In my experience, thet just curl on their stomach. Ive lost a couple of this cute ones already.

seezilla

Arachnopeon
Yes, it's probably molting. I find with my avics, when they're smaller, they molt on the ground, because they don't seem to either have time or patience to make a hammock, but as they get bigger, they will make them with more ease, and then they will molt in a selfmade web hide.

So just sit back, breathe and wait for your baby to show off it's new suit :D
Awesome. I am feeling much more at ease with everyone telling me it's probably a molt. Lil bugger scared me once already a few days ago when I was checking on him and he fell on his back, didn't move for a few seconds, then got up and crawled off. Gave me a heart attack! LOL

I wonder then if my Pink Toe is going to molt soonish? Already started a web and it kind of resembles a small hammock in the corner. That one pooed on me last night. Someone suggested I take out more of the substrate, so I was doing that last night and filling the water dish and she ended up crawling all over me and then when I finally got her back on my hand (she had been on my back. OMG that was nerve racking!) she squirted! :D I was hoping to get her in another container but that didn't happen, she wanted to crawl everywhere. I really like her, she is always up to something.

seezilla

Arachnopeon
Also, I would add a small twig to that vial.
I had already thought about that but hadn't found anything yet. Would it be all right to find one from outside and just wash it or is there someplace I can go to get one? I didn't want to use something that would make the sling sick and our landlord has someone come out and spray the house about every three months. I looked in the pet store for something really small and of course found nothing I thought would work. What did you use??

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They will make hides even without molting, but as they get bigger, and make larger webs with more ease, the hammocks are safer to molt in.

I'm sure you've seen the slingfluff webbing.. My slings dont seem to really build anything special, they just chuck some fluff around.. As they get bigger, their webbing will be more "stable". I hope you understand what I mean here =p

I'll try to get some slingfluff pics, I have an avic about the size of yours.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had already thought about that but hadn't found anything yet. Would it be all right to find one from outside and just wash it or is there someplace I can go to get one? I didn't want to use something that would make the sling sick and our landlord has someone come out and spray the house about every three months. I looked in the pet store for something really small and of course found nothing I thought would work. What did you use??
Small twigs will catch mold really easily if you wash them, but what you could do, which I did before finding the twig(found it at a florist, they have these squiggly twigs. Bought almost an entire tree, so I had some for my avics =P), is snip of the ends of a plastic q-tip, and stick it in there. Just make sure to get off all the cotton.

seezilla

Arachnopeon
Small twigs will catch mold really easily if you wash them, but what you could do, which I did before finding the twig(found it at a florist, they have these squiggly twigs. Bought almost an entire tree, so I had some for my avics =P), is snip of the ends of a plastic q-tip, and stick it in there. Just make sure to get off all the cotton.
Oh good idea!! THANK YOU! I have a friend who works at a florist. I will ask him if he can get me a twig. I will get a plastic q tip in there as soon as she is done molting. Sweet! ^_^