Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Please read this if you reside in the UK and feed live vertebrate food!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Salt, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Carrot

Carrot Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    That doesn't necessarily mean they can feel pain. Plants can react to negative stimuli as well I believe.

2. Mez

Mez Arachnoknight

Thats the problem, not everybody does have common sense.

3. Merfolk

Merfolk Arachnoprince Old Timer

Inverts have systems to warn them that something is going wrong when a body part is damaged, and will react accordingly. But it's not pain the same way humans perceive it, traumatizing, debilitating etc... after all, many invert drop a limb when preyed upon and keep on living the same way.

4. jbm150

jbm150 Arachnoprince

So we need a law for it? No thanks.

Again, its a matter of degrees and maybe a little bit of hypocracy. I don't want it to be illegal to feed mice to snakes but I am glad its illegal to set a cat on fire. So, its just a matter of opinion and the UK had the fortitude to create a near universal standard. Don't agree with it but as long as its never adopted here, I don't really care either.

5. I thought this was well known already.

I don't feed mice (live or dead) to any of my Ts nor would I want to, but I still think it's a silly law.

6. bobusboy

bobusboy Arachnoknight

This is why I will never live in the UK, and why I'm seriously considering the US as a viable alternative to Canada as we're well on the way to the same kind of over legislated nanny state.

7. Salt

Salt Arachnopeon

I thought it was common knowledge too, but apparently not.

8. codykrr

codykrr Arachnoking Old Timer

you know what...?

Its illegal to drink and drive. people still do. I find this to be a stupid law.

A. it isnt like they will catch you unles you are posting youtube video's about it.

b. I have snakes right now that wont eat anything but LIVE MICE. I have never gotten them to eat frozen thawed.

c. Its pretty common knowledge that people suggest not feeding mice to their spiders anyhow, as a mouse can kill a tarantula easily. But pinky mice while not prefered is better than an adult.

D. this is just another bad case of people anthropomorphizing. Poor mouse. poor poor mouse. their mice. they are breed by the millons each year in the pet industry alone(not including lab mice) to get killed so pets can eat them. then we have labs that literally inject them with different crap, just to see what it does and or doesnt do.

remind me to never move to the UK.

9. Harlock

Harlock Arachnosquire

Define pain for me would you? I presented a study showing insects show a reaction to discomfort. For most things, severe discomfort is a manifestation of pain.

Really, I feel this law is just trying to look like you* are being hard on animal abuse without doing much at all, especially anything the would require funding.

*Legislature, not the OP

10. Mez

Mez Arachnoknight

What species?
    If theyre WC, if you keep feeding them live they rarely will, however, most tricky species will take a live a few times, get settled in, then take a prekilled, then move onto frozen.
    Edit: i will say, my opinion on this is pretty simple, the frozen mice we buy in stores for our snakes and have also been alive and then killed, however i always choose frozen rather than live as i know CO2 is going to be less stressfull for the mouse/rat, but also (mainly) to stop any possible damage caused to the snake. Rodents can and will bite. I dont feed vertabrates to Ts, as i dont feel the need.

11. i always thump mine except when feeding hot snakes. not really interested in feeding vert prey to any of my inverts though.

frozen is great when you can get a bulk order but sometimes you're in a rush and have to stop at the local pet store for feeders and they rarely have frozen(or if they do they cost even more than live IME).

even so, they'd have to work pretty hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that someone was feeding live as long as said someone didn't post vids of it on youtube or something.

12. codykrr

Ball python. she is CB and will not for the life of me take FT....I have tried everything. including gerbils..

13. Mez

Mez Arachnoknight

Ah, see, here, a frozen adult rat will cost me £1.50 or so. A live 'pet' one would cost £5.95 ish.
    Cody, have you tried black mice/rats? To be fair, Royals/Balls are a PITA, i presume youve stopped feeding for a month or so and then offering pre-killed?
    Oh, and interestingly this dosnt apply to the rest of Europe and in Europe there is no DWA liscence either.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  14. paassatt

paassatt Arachnoangel

I'm all for preventing cruelty to animals, but not being allowed to have mouse traps seems way beyond ridiculous to me.

15. codykrr

If you want. look up the thread I made about it;)

Literally, I have tried everything. she just prefers live mice.

16. I may be wrong but as far as I know mouse traps are not illegal in the UK. They're sold in most hardware stores.

17. Salt

Salt Arachnopeon

So they aren't. I was always thought they were, but after you said that I looked it up and you're right. I wonder where I got that from. :?

18. If I remember correctly there is legislation regarding certain animals and spring-traps, but it doesn't apply to mice and rats :).

19. Salt

Salt Arachnopeon

[​IMG]

20. Merfolk

Merfolk Arachnoprince Old Timer

As a fisherman, I have a though for all the minnows that I cruelly impaled over the course of my life... and worse, some people use live frogs and rodents as bait as well!

Diminishing the pain inflicted to any animal is a good thing to try, but I would think about intelligent and sensitive animals like pigs (who litteraly die of depression in industrial farms), and then move down to lower verts... I mean, they are so many people who rant at hunters, predatory animals keepers etc, but find nothing wrong at eating the flesh of creatures that were kept in an almost state of torture for most of their lives. As long as one doesn't contradict himself, I'll agree...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.