Please ID this Spider

wolseley

Arachnopeon
I work at a Sewage Treatment Plant. We have thousands of spiders that always seem to take up residence along the side of our buildings, basements, bushes, and once I counted several hundred webs and all hanging on my car after it was parked in one spot for just a week. Can someone ID this spider? a best guess will do fine. The location is San Jose, California USA. At the edge of the South San Francisco Bay Estuary. The photo was taken Sept 2 this year. It was found in our Sewage Treatment Plant sitting on a bush.

I have counted at least 20 different "types" of spiders in our facility. By types I mean they "appear" different from others. Some up to 1 inch across. And of course, the requisite Black Widows as well. These little buggers like hanging out inside our Utility Vaults and Valve Boxes.

thanks.

Attachments

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
for more detialed ID usualy a good photo of either eye pattern or abdominal markings will help, unfortunatly my ID skills are not up that a specific id on this photo, however it is the body shape and structure that would lead it to be in the Orb weaver family.

SpiderShadowz

Arachnopeon
Looks like a cat faced spider to me. The dots on the back, were they like little holes? If so I think this is what you have a photo of. Sorry I do not know the proper name for these guys. They are orb weavers and can get quite large. Mine ate bees and wasps all summer.

Lorum

Arachnosquire
(...) however it is the body shape and structure that would lead it to be in the Orb weaver family.
Hello. There is no such "Orb Weaver Family". There are many families of orb weaver spiders (for example, Araneidae, Nephilidae, Tetragnathidae, etc.). BTW, you can refer to them as the Orb Weaver Group (Orbicularia).