Please ID this spider for me!!!

cl4hisown

Arachnopeon
Found this bugger on my bed last night while i was sleeping - can some one ID it for me? - is it poisonous as i am thinking of keeping him/her?

Attachments

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi,

your location is southafrica - wow, i think you have pretty interessting animals there ;)

with this pics i can't give you a positive id of your spider, but in my opinion there are 3 families most probably.

ctenidae, sparassidae, lycosidae.

but on the pics it seems to be to much big for a lycosidae and the very long fourth pair of legs makes sparassidae improbable, i think.

so the most similarity in habitus to me is in ctenidae !

in this family there are a few poisonous species - but even so harmless ones.
and many are simply not verified about poisonous.
this guy (yes, it is a male) was in your beed without attack you, so in my opinion there is no reason to be afraid - simply be careful.

other families are possible. a good picture of it's eyeregion (frontal and from above) will help to identify on family level a lot.

merry christmas, oli

cl4hisown

Arachnopeon
Hi Revilo
thanks a mil for the reply - his legnth was roughly about 7 - 9 cm,
movement was very slow, well he didnt move fast while i captured him...seemed to cling well to the bed side - and important his movemnt was sort of bouncy but only when on the floor.will try to get some better close ups when i get home from work.

revilo

Arachnoknight
don't belive him LOL he is able to run very fast in case he want to - this habitus is outing him:cool:

so i'm excited on the next pics :)

have an easy day at work...

revilo

Arachnoknight
jup, silberrücken is right. it is a sparassidae.
palystes is very common where you live, so this is absolutly possible.

oli