Please, ID this scorpion!

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd never seen one like this before. The scorpion was found in Israel.
Unfortunately, after taking the picture, the scorpion ran to a burrow and I couldn't catch it.
It was about 1'' long, I guess.
Can someone help me to identify it?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Compsobuthus cf. werneri

Since you can't be sure 100%, I use the abbrevation "cf, meaning confer, meaning that the taxon shows affinities with the species mentioned.

C.smiedeknechti is much lighter colored....

If you are into the Israeli scorpion fauna, there is a very good book written by Levi and Amitai.....older book, but a good one....You can still buy it from Israeli university I think...

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Compsobuthus cf. werneri

Since you can't be sure 100%, I use the abbrevation "cf, meaning confer, meaning that the taxon shows affinities with the species mentioned.

C.smiedeknechti is much lighter colored....

If you are into the Israeli scorpion fauna, there is a very good book written by Levi and Amitai.....older book, but a good one....You can still buy it from Israeli university I think...
Thanks for your answer. I kept Compsobuthus werneri in the past, and they looked nothing like this one. I even doubt that this scorpion belongs to that genus. What makes you think it's a C. werneri?

This is a C. werneri I kept some time ago:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
If you look at the first picture, it looks like the dorsal keels overhang the posterior edge of the tergites. This is diagnostic of Compsobuthus. By contrast, the second picture does not seem to have pronounced dorsal keels. How sure are you about that ID?

Unlike Michiel, I am not so sure about species.

Cheers,
Dave

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hmm, Bothrops's last picture is the same scorpion sp. I imported from Israel as C. werneri some years ago. Bah, cant find any picture of them :/

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for your answer. I kept Compsobuthus werneri in the past, and they looked nothing like this one. I even doubt that this scorpion belongs to that genus. What makes you think it's a C. werneri?

This is a C. werneri I kept some time ago:

That figures, because what you have kept is not C.werneri :D but associated with C.smiedeknechti. These two are mostly found, there are 3-4 others to be found in Israel. :D