Please Id my centripedes

deathwing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmmm... Not only unID ones but also some pedes that before are not distributed on PH, but infact does exist in PH. There are a lot of Geometricus that exist in PH and some Liths that I can't ID based from the papers online... S. mortisans sure for that striped one.

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
maybe the orange legs and the yellow legs are Sc. subspinipes subspinipes beacuse I found them together with the red Sc. subspinipes subspinipes which are moist with rotten leaves... Unlike the Sc. morsitans that I caught in a very hot area... I will try to take more pics later....

I was bitten twice by the red one but it is not that painful unlike the yellow legs. I difinitely would not handle the yellow legs anymore.hehe If they are all Sc. subspinipes subspinipes why is that their bites differs "in terms of pain i experienced"? Is there also what we call a dry bite cause there is a dry sting in scorps.

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry if its off topic but this is suprising that the different sp. have no problems being right on top of another. Do you think this could last longer than a month w/o cannabilism?
Hmmm... in my experience I caught I think 30++pcs but they kill each other in a day (and i hate the smell of a rotten centipede).. Maybe at night when they are active. Maybe they tolerate each other in that pic cause they know I am taking pictures (it takes I think 10 - 20minutes for them to settle so that I can get a clear shot).hehe:D

I have 10pcs Sc. subspinipes subspinipes housed in a 12x8x8 LWH enclosure. For three months there is no cannabilism but now only 5 remains "the bigger ones" I think It lasted 3 months cause I put loose leaves and cocofiber with peat moss as substrate so that they can burrow "limits the chance they see each other a lot" also i put 50 super worms per week in there making sure they are gut loaded.

Just a thought: have you seen a wine with centipede in it? I am sure you have seen with snake in it. They are aphrodisiac (especially in asia ) and they say wine with centipede is better that the wine witha snake.hehe

Last edited:

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was wondering, thanks for sharing! I had a feeling even with alot of feeding and hides there would still be pedes being eaten and killed. Also I love any pics where someone is holding a subspinipes, they look so awesome against the color of skin. Brings out their true colors as good as a white ground and helps size comparison.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
I like the look on those dark ones with orange legs :)
interesting fact they were collected together with red ones.

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
just my observation, when there is cannibalism the dead ones aren't eaten at all they just leave it there. Maybe in the next hunting trip I can get more new specie.. I am sure there is Sc spinosissima in the Philippines. Maybe those are crossbreeds?

Can centipedes be crossbreed? cause I have female of the orange one and a male of Sc. subspinipes subspinipes. The only thing is they are aggressive with each other unlike when they are of the same species.

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

if centipedes are from different species then it should not be possible to cross-breed them (additionally i suppose people still can't tell male from female with a 100% reliable method).

Since Sc. spinosissima once belonged to the Sc. subspinipes-group (Sc. subspinipes spinosissima) it was revised as a new species later on (what i personally consider as reasonable from a theoretical point of view).

If you document a succesful mating between Sc. spinosissima and Sc. subspinipes with a healthy clutch which is able to reproduce again, then i guess you make history for the centipede scene. ;) Good luck!:)

Regards,
Turgut

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
how about the orange and the yellow legs? I think they are of the same specie

A.Gneist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don´t think, that subspinipes and spinosissima get crossbreeding.
On the Island Negros there are S. spinosissima, about the other Islands I know nothing.
Which determination, you find out, what is male and what female? Thats very interesting. I have a method that is not often proofed, by the way it works. Small Head and small body is a male and bright Head, bright body is a female. Both should be the same length. This method works only by Scolopendra and Ethmostigmus.

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There are some prutrusion in between the terminal legs which I think ther sexual organ? I have seen it on the other post. correct me if i am wrong

A.Gneist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hy,
this is more the anal opening. it is not identical in form and color by each. The sexual organ are into the body and will came out only for set the spermatophore from male, ore take it with the genopodes from female.
I think it too, that all three will be S. s. subspinipes in different color forms., we will see.

Stagger-Lee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
are you sure they diont have clipped fangs, ones sold as fish food usually have their fangs clipped off
hmmm... it make me wonder why they are communal.. there are 10 of them in a 5liter mineral water jar... and they don't canabalize.. sad to say some of the locals make it as a feeder to their arowanas...

deathwing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Spade, get some plenty of pics and use a white background a bond paper will do, then choose only the best ones. Don't let them kill each other and use individual containers, don't overhunt, I want to see more of them once i get there!!! :D

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
are you sure they diont have clipped fangs, ones sold as fish food usually have their fangs clipped off
The clipped ones are those in the fish shops.. I caught this myself and clipped a couple for me to hadle (yes the ones I hande are clipped ones).

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
isn`t it strange that different colourforms live in the same place? :confused:
Actully no! I've caught them 2meters apart under the woods and leaves. And they there are many in one location I think 5 - 1o pcs and I dont get the small ones.

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Spade, get some plenty of pics and use a white background a bond paper will do, then choose only the best ones. Don't let them kill each other and use individual containers, don't overhunt, I want to see more of them once i get there!!! :D
ok bro no problem! I will give you when you get here!

Please help Centipedes Experts,

Its been five days since I was bitten and only my middle finger swell. But this morningI have a high fever and my whole body is shaking (convulsions?) I can't control it. I went to sleep at put many comforter sheets to relieve the chills. My jaw is locking thats why i drink a lot of water to prevent it. Nowthe chill is gone but have some high fever. Is this a sign of Tetanus? What can I do with it? The one who bit me is the yellow legs. And funny thing is the specie died also withour any reason. I know is you are bitten by a dog and the dog died days later you are infected with rabbies. What about centipedes? Any info from the experts pls...thanks