Please Id my centripedes

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
some of the locals of the area said that the one i got is small.. they've seen twice as big... i got 4inches of this centipede

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey,

based on terminal legs, location and coloration (yes!) i would also say Scolopendra morsitans.

Regards,
Turgut

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok here is the centipede.. sorry for poor pics i will use digicam later...

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
some of the locals of the area said that the one i got is small.. they've seen twice as big... i got 4inches of this centipede
i personally hate those fishermen-talk about how big their Centipede is/was,... but you gonna have to trust me on this, i once had a +/- 20 cm (8") Scolopendra morsitans from the Philipines.

so yeah i follow your locals that this is just a very small one

Philipines seems to be a good place to raise giant morsitans ;)
the one i got in the past was caught on the roof of a house, interesting place for a centipede tmo :)

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so this one is a Scolopendra morsitans? thanks for the info

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Another question...

Are there Scolopendra heros in asia?

I've caught a couple of centipede black body with yellow legs that has some orange in it but the head is not that red.. the head is blakish orange.. the biggest i got is around 7inches

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey,

Another question...
Are there Scolopendra heros in asia?
i don't think there are Sc. heros in Asia.

I've caught a couple of centipede black body with yellow legs that has some orange in it but the head is not that red.. the head is blakish orange.. the biggest i got is around 7inches
Probably a Sc. subspinipes....but hm...you live in Philippines? Then it's maybe Sc. spinosissima. :)

Regards,
Turgut

deathwing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
S. mortisan and S. s. s. seems right for me. Be careful about pedes kababayan, there are even some unID pedes in PH, and some are lethal, but I would like to see some of those again.

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes i think it is no Sc. heros but Sc. spinosissima cause some of them is actually orange legs not yellow..

And sad part is this morning I was bitten by one of them... an eight inch specimen... I was bitten twice by Sc. Subspinepes subspinepes but its not that painful compare to Sc. spinosissima.. It is very painful.. It got me in my middle finger and it swell immediately it was so hot... It was 10hours ago but it is still painful and I cannot close my middle finger...

I think it is not lethal in my part cause I've beet bitten by wasp, bees and a 2in regalis but with minimal pain... A can say Sc. spinosissima bite is the most painful I have experienced so far.

Maybe sometime I can find some new specie here.. wish me luck.hehe

Hello kabayan,... I only have 3 spicemen at the moment but the Sc. Subspinepes subspinepes I have may variety of color maybe some are Sc. de haani

Last edited:

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is one of my Sc. spinosissima sp. 6inches or 7inches i think. It has yellow legs

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sc. spinosissima?

Scolopendra subspinipes subspinipes?

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are those Scolopendra spinosissima?

I will post the one with orange legs later

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey,

can you make detail pics of headplate and terminal legs?
Thanks a lot! :)

Regards,
Turgut

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
heheh no message now kabayan.. I will try to post better pics when I have time. It really confuses me those with black body have many colorforms I think some are yellow legs some are orange, some orange with yellow..whew! And it sure gives a nasty bite, until now my hand still numb once in a while, its been three days since I was bitten

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok here are the pics:

The orange legs:

The yellow legs:

Looks like Sc. polymorpha:

The headplate and terminal legs:

Scolopendra subspinipes subspinipes?

GROUP PICS:

I hope you can help me identify them all....
I caught them together in one place and I am planning to hunt again maybe there are even more new species in the area... Just like what deathwing said "there are even some unID pedes in PH"

Thanks

Last edited:

krabbelspinne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just for the first view:

the first one looks like colourform of Scolopendra subspinipes dehaani (first pic looks like three spines at the terminal legs), second one maybe the same.

the third one seems to be Scolopendra morsitans (polymorpha does not exist in Philippines, btw) and the last one is Scolopendra subspinipes subspinipes.

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

the first one looks like colourform of Scolopendra subspinipes dehaani (first pic looks like three spines at the terminal legs), second one maybe the same.
Only based on the pictures: It still can be Scolopendra subspinipes subspinipes, because this subspecies can also feature up to 3 dorso-medial located spines.
I personally would prefer to see a pic of the terminal legs' underside.

the third one seems to be Scolopendra morsitans
Yes, i confirm! :)

Regards,
Turgut

Last edited:

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry if its off topic but this is suprising that the different sp. have no problems being right on top of another. Do you think this could last longer than a month w/o cannabilism?