Please Id my centripedes

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I caught this myself... I live in southern part of the Philippines.... General Santos City the city of PACMAN Manny Pacquiao.. can somebody help me ID these centipedes? they are all 6inches and they are quite communal by nature.. i have 10pcs of them in a 5 liter mineral water bottle but they seem to get along well... i am planning to captive breed them soon as they can be communal... thanks

Last edited:

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have been bitten twice by those centipedes.. my hand swell and i experience chest pains as well.. but nothing serious actually..:D

I also caught a striped centipede black and white but it is only 4inches in length.. will post those later.. meanwhile please id those centipedes up there...

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Scolopendra subspinipes subspinipes, gorgeous!
oic thanks... so Scolopendra subspinipes subspinipes are communal by nature? i haven't seen canabalism yet.. they are with me 3 months already.. haven't seen them molt also

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oic thanks... so Scolopendra subspinipes subspinipes are communal by nature? i haven't seen canabalism yet.. they are with me 3 months already.. haven't seen them molt also
I don't think so. Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans are, though.
I'd seperate them, there are some good caresheets on the net.

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't think so. Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans are, though.
I'd seperate them, there are some good caresheets on the net.
hmmm... it make me wonder why they are communal.. there are 10 of them in a 5liter mineral water jar... and they don't canabalize.. sad to say some of the locals make it as a feeder to their arowanas...

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hmmm... it make me wonder why they are communal.. there are 10 of them in a 5liter mineral water jar... and they don't canabalize.. sad to say some of the locals make it as a feeder to their arowanas...
Really? Wow, that means it's a common practice all over Asia. It's time we banded together to stand against the use of centipedes as fish food! In the meantime I will continue my efforts to rescue more of these from the fish shops...

Those are very good-looking pedes, by the way. I agree with Rick, I would separate them just in case.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Really? Wow, that means it's a common practice all over Asia. It's time we banded together to stand against the use of centipedes as fish food! In the meantime I will continue my efforts to rescue more of these from the fish shops...

Those are very good-looking pedes, by the way. I agree with Rick, I would separate them just in case.
i dont mean to sound cold, and i love centipedes, but i dont think the continent of asia needs to worry about running out of pedes any time soon. i vaugely remember hearing long ago that part of why lots of mulitans are communal is due to the fact that they are commercially bred and farmed for industrial use.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i dont mean to sound cold, and i love centipedes, but i dont think the continent of asia needs to worry about running out of pedes any time soon. i vaugely remember hearing long ago that part of why lots of mulitans are communal is due to the fact that they are commercially bred and farmed for industrial use.
That's true. There are farms in China that breed mutilans commercially. But I don't think the breeding has caused them to "become communal". I'm not sure if that's possible.

beomgongon

Arachnopeon
congratulation

Scolopendra subspinipes subspinipes, yeah congratulation
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
distribution:Barbados,Java,Malaysia,Philippines,Thailand,Vanuatu,Hawaii...

Adult size:180~240mm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

and so beautiful pede

anthony86

Arachnopeon
i got one doubt..Scolopendra subspinipes subspinipes also called "indonesian black tits"?
i am new to centripede...
i have two of this..

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's true. There are farms in China that breed mutilans commercially. But I don't think the breeding has caused them to "become communal". I'm not sure if that's possible.
sure it is, over time ones that are cannibalistic are eather killed or removed by breeders, so only the ones that cohabitate survive to breed, and they pass on a genetic disposition for communality to their offspring and so on, and so eventually the communal trait is strengthened and the solitary cannibalistic trait is weeded out. it takes a long long long long time and a lot of work though.

John

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmmmmm.. so they can be communal and it takes process? but these centipede are wild caught... In fact caught it myself.. there are 10 of then in the 5liter container but there are no cannibalism of any sign for three months now...

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
It doesn't mean that if they tollerate eachother for 6 months they won't get to a point in killing eachother in a second ;)

I've seen plenty of those "buckets" with Arowana fishfood-pedes, big groups of hundreds of subspinipes together, but those won't be kept together for such a long time, since they get sold as food.

I personally don't believe in those "centipede-farms", i think the costs will be to high and the reproductivity and growrate is too low to concur fresh WildCaught fishfood.(I could be wrong, but i never seen actually plings geting raised and bred in such farms, only adult sized pedes)

@anthony86
And Indonesian black tits/tips is just a common name,
describes a particular colormorph of subspinipes.

spade

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi to all!

just this morning I caught a centipede that is white and black stipe.. as I am searching on the web I found out that it is Scolopendra polymorpha... but it is only found in southwestern region of the U.S.A. How come there is Scolopendra polymorpha in the sounthern part of the Philippines? I will post the pics later

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
im thinking it is probably scolopendra morsitans. it looks similar to polymorpha

John