Please! I think I have really bad news...

seezilla

Arachnopeon
I think our versi died. I'm really upset because my 4 yr old son was supposed to be in bed, I was in the living room and he usually plays for awhile before going to sleep... I heard noises, but I thought nothing of it because he is always playing in his room with his toys. Now I wish I had gotten up and double checked. I'm not entirely sure but I think he was "playing" with the spiders in my room. I feel really horrible and am kind of in tears because I had put the vial back in the styro box KenthebugGuy shipped our sling in so she would be undisturbed and safe... :( When I went to check on my son and tell him to get in bed (hopefully for the final time... ugh!) I found the feeding tongs on the bed (not where I left them) and the vial was on different side of the box and the sling is now on her belly. I think this is the death curl. But I'm not entirely sure he didn't just take the vial out to look at and nothing more and she flipped on her belly herself. I ahven't checked on her in about 3 hours I think.

Should I do something??? IDK... if I move her and she is still alive, well, I don't want to hurt her anymore than I'm pretty sure she already has been. IDK sometimes he lies about what he does since he is only 4 and doesn't understand. I know this is my fault for not making sure he was in bed. Man, I am having a really bad day and this just made it worse. :'( I don't know what to do, if anything, and maybe I am panicking because my pink toe seems like she is stressed out because she is on the inside lid of the critter keeper and not in her corner as usual. So he did something and I will probably never know what he did.

I took these pictures under the bathroom light, which is much brighter. Is this a death curl or is she ok??

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That pic doesn't bode well for that lil guy.

GL

PIG-

seezilla

Arachnopeon
I kind of figured. :( Thank you for the quick response. I guess I'll wait til hubby gets home and then... IDK. I'll let him figure it out since this was his spider. :(

Czalz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wouldn't count it out yet. Just keep the lid on and try not to disturb the sling. It looks like you've already got plenty of moisture in the container. The morning will tell what the outcome is.

Best Wishes

p.s. Did you add the water after the "accident"? Is it possible that the sling could have been dehydrated?

seezilla

Arachnopeon
No, I haven't done anything to her vial since last night. Though, my husband could have done something while I was at work aside for take out the flightless fruit fly that was in there for her. I had been misting it (like a half squirt or two) once or twice a day depending on how much moisture there was. I wanted to be certain she was getting enough humidity, just like the caresheets I was shown. For all I know, my son decided she needed more water (though the vial looks the same as the last time I checked, no extra noticeable moisture) or shook the vial trying to wake her up. We just got her Tuesday. We had already gotten her to eat once, but for the most part she would sit up at the top of the vial. I was really looking forward to raising this sling. :( I hope she isn't dead and is just in pre-molt and my son only took her down and looked at her. But I know him pretty well. I am pretty sure he did something. What? I don't know. :(

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So sorry about that. Poor kid was just trying to be like Mom and Dad. :(

I hope your sling is just stressed and not ill. :(

seezilla

Arachnopeon
So sorry about that. Poor kid was just trying to be like Mom and Dad. :(

I hope your sling is just stressed and not ill. :(
I know, that's why I can't be mad at him. Even though I had sat down and explained it as simply as I could so he could understand why it was bad to play with the spiders. I didn't want this to happen or for him to get bit. That was another reason we had moved the slings into our bedroom, so they would be safer. :\

I'm probably going to lay down and go to bed now. I'm crying over a lil spider I've had for what? three days? It's been a rough week for me in other areas. Straw, camel, back. In the morning I'm sure whatever has happened will be apparent by then, so I'll let you guys know either way. :(

I just wanted to say I appreciate that everyone was so nice about this. I feel awful and everyone who answered both my posts were super nice and helpful about everything. You guys are great and I'm glad I had this forum to run to for advice both times today.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Hopefully everything will be alright... My bro accidentally dropped my versi's container last week while looking at it and I could tell because all the substrate was in complete dissarray. Thankfully he made it through the fall just fine. Ur's doesn't look to be to dissturbed so I'm gunna go with it's just stressed out. Hope everything is going better for you in the morning, keep us all updated.

Mistegirl

Arachnopeon
It kind of looks like it's in the Avic "I'm scared" scrunched up pose more than a death curl.

I hope it works out well and it's ok.

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As it's been stated he looks scared, not in a dead curl, but things can quickly change for a baby that size :(

Let us know how he's doing this morning.

seezilla

Arachnopeon
I don't have any news today. There has been absolutely no change with the sling. I would say the colors look duller though. So... maybe this is wishful thinking, but I'm still hoping for a molt even though I'm really thinking this lil one is dead or very close to it. :( I just don't want to give up on it. Since I don't know exactly what my son did, I'm still hoping it flipped itself over and he scared it by maybe tapping on the vial or something with the feeding tongs. IDK.

I misted the vial down a bit though just in case. Oh and my Pink Toe came down from the lid, so I count that as a good sign she's not stressed out anymore. I misted her enclosure as well. My room felt extremely warm when I woke up a couple of hours ago. I kept the door closed all night and most of the morning.

Anyway, thanks all for all the kind wishes. I'm really hoping this lil one pulls thru too.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As people have mentioned, the wee one looks scared. Duller colours could also indicate a molt, so just hang in there.

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon
Wanting to hope for the best as she/he is still not curled up. Color is dull, hoping for the best:(. I will not be doing slings until my son is older and is more understanding though. Looking at the cages at tarantulacages.com liking that you can lock em up. Probably will be purchasing those in the future for the locking reason, also going to do a rack system for em, as to keep the critter keepers out of little ones reach. Thank you to all those who posted quickly and, for giving advice.

Arachnethegreek

Arachnopeon
I don't mean to rag, but someone has to ask, why was a t within a four year olds reach at all? I understand it's only an avic, but the fact remains of small child, venomous arachnid. Was the vial out of harms way already and the little one just found a way to it?(been there as a young'un myself, never touched a curling iron again) I'm not trying to be a naysayer, but maybe you should consider a more isolated area for the t's. Top shelves of book cases come to mind. Just my view

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
I don't mean to rag, but someone has to ask, why was a t within a four year olds reach at all? I understand it's only an avic, but the fact remains of small child, venomous arachnid. Was the vial out of harms way already and the little one just found a way to it?(been there as a young'un myself, never touched a curling iron again) I'm not trying to be a naysayer, but maybe you should consider a more isolated area for the t's. Top shelves of book cases come to mind. Just my view
I have a four year old and all my T's are right at his eye level.He loves to watch the T's all the time and has never messed with them at all.He is young but I have made it extremely clear that under no circumstances should they be touched.If you ask my boy why he's not allowed to touch my T's he will tell you "because they could get out and might bite me.then I'll have to step on it".So to say that no kid is capable of understanding the implications of messing with T's is a gross generalization.Kid's for the most part are far smarter than adults will give them credit for.I guess then this situation really needs to be approached by each parent on a case by case level no one knows your kids better than you and if you have a kid that just doesn't get it respond appropriately.

seezilla

Arachnopeon
No, I am taking full responsibility for this, it was my fault for not checking on him and making sure he was in his bedroom. I had moved the two newly acquired slings into my bedroom hoping to avoid this exact situation. I had already talked to him several times about not touching/playing with the spiders as they could bite him or get out and that would be a bad thing. They are on top of my dresser sitting on the back as far from the edge as possible. Were they at eye level for him? Yes. I had put the vial into the Styrofoam box the sling was originally shipped in because I didn't want little hands or tails (of my doggies) stressing out the sling. Obviously, I should have moved it up and out of reach. I wasn't thinking of him being in my room after I sent him to bed. I don't normally spend my evenings watching tv (I'm usually in my bedroom reading or on my computer whenever I am home). So this was MY oversight. That's why I am more upset over this than anyone can imagine. I KNOW this was MY fault. ~_~ If I could undo it, I would. Unfortunately, all I can do now is be more diligent and drill into my 4yo's head that he CANNOT play with the spiders. If this sling survives, it will be a miracle.

Point is, lesson learned. If I am not going to be in my room when my son is supposed to be playing himself asleep (I hate fighting with him, most nights he plays quietly in his bed until he falls asleep), then I should move my avics up and out of reach. I underestimated him and his curiosity. Like I said, this was MY fault. And I accept that responsibility.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No, I am taking full responsibility for this, it was my fault for not checking on him and making sure he was in his bedroom. I had moved the two newly acquired slings into my bedroom hoping to avoid this exact situation. I had already talked to him several times about not touching/playing with the spiders as they could bite him or get out and that would be a bad thing. They are on top of my dresser sitting on the back as far from the edge as possible. Were they at eye level for him? Yes. I had put the vial into the Styrofoam box the sling was originally shipped in because I didn't want little hands or tails (of my doggies) stressing out the sling. Obviously, I should have moved it up and out of reach. I wasn't thinking of him being in my room after I sent him to bed. I don't normally spend my evenings watching tv (I'm usually in my bedroom reading or on my computer whenever I am home). So this was MY oversight. That's why I am more upset over this than anyone can imagine. I KNOW this was MY fault. ~_~ If I could undo it, I would. Unfortunately, all I can do now is be more diligent and drill into my 4yo's head that he CANNOT play with the spiders. If this sling survives, it will be a miracle.

Point is, lesson learned. If I am not going to be in my room when my son is supposed to be playing himself asleep (I hate fighting with him, most nights he plays quietly in his bed until he falls asleep), then I should move my avics up and out of reach. I underestimated him and his curiosity. Like I said, this was MY fault. And I accept that responsibility.
Take rest on your mind...

While I can understand someone asking the question that prompted this response I also, as well many parents, can totally relate. While I feel it a complete accident and children will get into things you have no idea they would or could I do find comfort that you are a good parent. I can tell this by your admission of fault as well acknowledgment of responsibility.

From just a guy on the net, thank you for this.

As a parent myself of two boys (12 and 10) I've seen, thus far, about every possibly thing that could happen less serious damage to my boys and again regardless of how you feel now take solace that you did the right thing in teaching and taking measures you thought were sound.

I can honestly say that if only more parents out there, even with this type of accident, rise to the responsibility that is a parent; in my opinion the world would be a better place.

Sleep well..

seezilla

Arachnopeon
Take rest on your mind...

While I can understand someone asking the question that prompted this response I also, as well many parents, can totally relate. While I feel it a complete accident and children will get into things you have no idea they would or could I do find comfort that you are a good parent. I can tell this by your admission of fault as well acknowledgment of responsibility.

From just a guy on the net, thank you for this.

As a parent myself of two boys (12 and 10) I've seen, thus far, about every possibly thing that could happen less serious damage to my boys and again regardless of how you feel now take solace that you did the right thing in teaching and taking measures you thought were sound.

I can honestly say that if only more parents out there, even with this type of accident, rise to the responsibility that is a parent; in my opinion the world would be a better place.

Sleep well..
Thank you. I understand the question too. Which is why I replied with an absolute, yes this is my fault. No one can castigate me more than I've already castigated myself. But thank you for understanding that I hadn't meant for this to happen, and in the future, I will be much more diligent than I was. :(

Arachnethegreek

Arachnopeon
I have a four year old and all my T's are right at his eye level.He loves to watch the T's all the time and has never messed with them at all.He is young but I have made it extremely clear that under no circumstances should they be touched.If you ask my boy why he's not allowed to touch my T's he will tell you "because they could get out and might bite me.then I'll have to step on it".So to say that no kid is capable of understanding the implications of messing with T's is a gross generalization.Kid's for the most part are far smarter than adults will give them credit for.I guess then this situation really needs to be approached by each parent on a case by case level no one knows your kids better than you and if you have a kid that just doesn't get it respond appropriately.

It's not a matter of judging a four year old as a generality, some kids are more responsible than others, and yes we can all tell them; "don't touch or they can bite you" but my point was to reccomend just a little added security. Not to be a nit pick. @OP I hope the sling gets through ok, versi's are very pretty t's.