Please help

Darlloony

Arachnopeon
T hasnt ate in two weeks and shows no interest in crickets or mealworms. I don't know if he's hurt or not because he also sometimes falls from the top of the terrarium to the bottom. :( please help

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
T hasnt ate in two weeks and shows no interest in crickets or mealworms. I don't know if he's hurt or not because he also sometimes falls from the top of the terrarium to the bottom. :( please help
You need to raise the substrate height to within 2 or 3" of the top, in addition, the top cannot be screen, as that is how the t grasps on falls. Please describe your setup and conditions, and pictures are better, what is your feeding schedule, and the last time your t molted?

TRection

Arachnoknight
That sounds like pre-molt, how big is your T and what species is it? and is there any more information you can give about the situation? As for the falls, how long is the drop, how far is the distance from the top of the lid to the substrate.

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
I think more info is needed and pictures of the spider and enclosure is always helpful.
What kind of tarantula is it and how big is it?
Two weeks without eating is nothing to be concerned about for a tarantula. It could just not be hungry or since you also mention it falls often, it could be in premolt. Again pictures would be very helpful.

MGery92

Arachnosquire
As the others mentioned, pictures of the T and the setup would be really helpful.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I agree with everyone else who has already posted. More information and pictures definitely help us figure out what advice to give.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Ts in pre molt often become poor climbers, they seem to lose grip and fall a lot more, this makes having a tall enclosure even more dangerous for your spider, share some pics of your T and it's setup so we can help you out. What species is it? If it's a terrestrial species falling from a reasonable height will make it much more prone injury.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You need to raise the substrate height to within 2 or 3" of the top, in addition, the top cannot be screen, as that is how the t grasps on falls. Please describe your setup and conditions, and pictures are better, what is your feeding schedule, and the last time your t molted?
Be careful with advice before you know species, size, and setup.

While it's probably a terrestrial species, my MM arboreal stopped "sticking" before he died, my first avic did this when I was putting the poor thing in a swamp, and then of course as you mentioned many terrestrial loose footing before molt.

Also, 2-3" from the top for a 8" LP or a mature regalis could be a little short, don't cha think? ;)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Also, 2-3" from the top for a 8" LP or a mature regalis could be a little short, don't cha think? ;)
Yeah would not be good, terrible for a MF regalis to only have 2- 3inches from the sub to move around through, my female is big and she has plenty of height in her enclosure. The height is not a worry for arboreals, even a terrestrial could do fine with about five inches of height as long as it's over 2 inches DLS. Depends on the individual size and species, that's why we shouldn't generalize... ;)
You need to raise the substrate height to within 2 or 3" of the top, in addition, the top cannot be screen
He didn't mention the height of his enclosure, the size of the spider or the type of lid he was using.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Hi @Darlloony! Welcome to Arachnoboards. Don't worry about your tarantula not eating for two weeks. It is likely because it is going to molt soon. Also, don't be scared if you find your T on its back as it will not be dead. It just needs to be left alone and it will be alright in no time.

Judging by the type of question, I think you are probably very new to the hobby. You will find many answers to the questions you have on this platform. Here is a good place to start.

As the other members said already, you should provide a little bit more information before you will get a definite answer.

A picture would be best.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Basically mine is just another 'need more information and pix' post from me. What kind of T, what size/age, size of rump, pix of current set-up, etc..
2 weeks isn't long to go without feeding, even for a young T -- and esp if it's due to moult.

We're all T lovers here with an interest in helping others grow in the hobby. :)

cold blood

Staff member
i love how the op posts, then instantly logs off....jeez, she had 3 comments within 15 min...could have had all her questions answered in less than 20 min if she would have just stuck around for a tiny bit.

Op, we need more info, no one can help with the limited info provided, we can only speculate...other than the fact that 2 weeks without food is of zero concern, ever, for any t.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Out of all seven of mine only three have eaten in the past two weeks...closing in on a month for one in particular.

Oh well, more crickets for me.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

While it's probably a terrestrial species, my MM arboreal stopped "sticking" before he died, my first avic did this when I was putting the poor thing in a swamp, and then of course as you mentioned many terrestrial loose footing before molt.

I think that it is much better, in the case that he does read this, and goes off and ups the substrate, that two vectors benefit here.

One, the terrestrial tarantula benefits from impending death by having substrate risen, i can personally attest that it only takes a few inches, your logic is a bit backward here, it is more important for the larger spider to have less height, because they are heavier, an "8 inch LP" is not 3 inches tall.

Two, an arboreal species temporarily has an incompatible home.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Actually, youre wrong on both accounts, if its an arboreal species, and the tarantula is literally falling, you want to raise that height? Because that is your only vector here sir, i only recommended substrate height, so you only have two options, raise substrate height, or lower it, you want to increase the fall distance for a spider who is already falling? Really now?

cold blood

Staff member
what if she has an avic...what if she has an old mm avic?

we need to know the species and size.