Please help

MarzipanMillipede

Arachnopeon
I recently had three millipedes come in the mail. Two of them were very happy and active once warmed up, the third just crawled weakly across the dirt. I gave them fresh leaves and some apple, and a little cap full of water. She's been laying curled up for about five hours now, not moving. I gently stroked her back, bu there was no response - no defense smell, no leg twitch, nothing. Assuming she was dead, I picked her up and unfurled her (manually) but she curled back up into her tight little curl, and flicked her legs a little bit before going quiet and still again. Her legs are clasped tight togther.
Is she dying? Did the cold weather they were shipped in get to her? Is she shedding? Will provide more info if needed.

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If it's curling that's a good sign. Millipedes that are dying won't curl up. Does it look to be the same color as the rest?

MarzipanMillipede

Arachnopeon
If it's curling that's a good sign. Millipedes that are dying won't curl up. Does it look to be the same color as the rest?
Hi Panna, I'm afraid she passed away. She eventually unfurled and went all loose and limp. Gently prodded but all that happened was some rather sad un-legging. I think she suffered an injury or trauma in transport :c

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Sorry you lost one of your new pedes. I have had some pedes stay on the surface and appear listless/ motionless for days. Eventually they molt and return to normal behavior. When I see that now, I very carefully lift them out and put them in a small sterile talk (perhaps the container they came in) for a few days until I am sure they are dead or are active again. Handling them when they are vulnerable is the worst thing you can do, so if you are confident you can be careful enough, just leave them alone for a few days. What species did you get?

MarzipanMillipede

Arachnopeon
Sorry you lost one of your new pedes. I have had some pedes stay on the surface and appear listless/ motionless for days. Eventually they molt and return to normal behavior. When I see that now, I very carefully lift them out and put them in a small sterile talk (perhaps the container they came in) for a few days until I am sure they are dead or are active again. Handling them when they are vulnerable is the worst thing you can do, so if you are confident you can be careful enough, just leave them alone for a few days. What species did you get?
Yes, I did know that she may have been shedding, but once a few legs fell off I knew for sure she was dead.
I got the desert millipede from the Sonora desert in Arizona - the scientific name escapes me.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Orthoporus ornatus? Yes, I knew you knew it was dead - I had an unfortunate experience once!