Please help!

Eemperor

Arachnopeon
Please, I am new to having tarantula. She was refusing food for two weeks now and This is what happened to her legs. Please, I am in stress :(
20161228_220622.jpg

She has these Red drops on her legs.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Refusal of food is usually a sign of premolt behavior or just a full tank, try again to feed in a week or two. The red spots I don't know but its not T blood which is milky white. It could be just grooming fluid (which is clear) that appears red due to lighting.
A pic from over top the T would help as well as a pic of the whole enclosure

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Refusal of food is usually a sign of premolt behavior or just a full tank, try again to feed in a week or two. The red spots I don't know but its not T blood which is milky white. It could be just grooming fluid (which is clear) that appears red due to lighting.
A pic from over top the T would help as well as a pic of the whole enclosure
There are also what looks like tears in the 'skin' on the legs where the drops are. Like the exo is splitting?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Wow, that's new. I have no idea what that fluid is. Apparent "tears" in the exo is normal for many species, my T. stirmi and E. sp. "Green" have the same thing. Although I've never gotten close enough to my A. geniculata to observe the same thing... but I have no idea what that fluid is. I doubt it's molting, because the fluid used for lubrication during a molt is crystal clear and does not leak through the exoskeleton.

Is it lethargic?

It almost looks like sap. Do you have freshly gathered wood in the enclosure?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Here are the tears I was talking about:

And here is that clear lubrication fluid, you can see drops of it next to her, on the left towards the back:

Paiige

Arachnobaron

And here is that clear lubrication fluid, you can see drops of it next to her, on the left towards the back:
The fluid looks clear (two small drops) on the left leg closest to the center of the photo, towards the bottom. OP can we have more photos?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

I didn't mean tears as in colour. If i zoom the pic in a lot, it looks like the exo has tears in it on the knee/legs.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
isnt that just normal patterning?
It is, yes, but it's an actual indentation. It definitely looks like a tear. My point is that it's nothing to worry about. Still no idea about the fluid, though.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
It is, yes, but it's an actual indentation. It definitely looks like a tear. My point is that it's nothing to worry about.
I mean...it definitely looks like the fluid is leaking out from those tears in OP's photo. Like 100% - if there were not fluid coming out I'd say don't worry but I'd certainly be freaking out if that were my T.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak

Judging from your photos and comparing them to OPs, it looks to me like the tears are present and the molting fluid is leaking out. The surface beneath the tears in your first photo appears very pink, so it'd stand to reason that they'd be what is making the droplets look reddish in OPs photo. As for what it means or what can be done about it, I don't know. I'd just keep the T well watered.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Please, I am new to having tarantula. She was refusing food for two weeks now and This is what happened to her legs. Please, I am in stress :(
View attachment 227906

She has these Red drops on her legs.
The exoskeleton has split a bit down the length of certain leg segments. It's extremely visible on the "front" leg closest in the image on the left.

Keep a bowl of fresh water at all times in there. Keep an eye on its abdomen, small abdomen's can be an indicator of dehydration due to many reasons.

Eemperor

Arachnopeon
(Sorry about my english, ask if you dont understand something)
I got her about 2-3 months ago. The previous owner told me that she will molt in about 6 months or so. He also gave me enclosure and superworms.
IMG-20161229-WA0004.jpg (i changed nothing in her enclosure since I brought it from that guy, So if I need to add something or change anything, tell me please and I will do it.)
Everything was fine until few weeks ago. She started to sit in her water bowl ( i Give her Fresh water everyday), and is less active.
20161229_111518.jpg

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Has she moved at all in the last 24 hours?
Sometimes tarantula molt in their waterdishes.
The enclosure needs adjustments, but i hesitate to say that because it is not clear what is wrong with your spider. If it is molting, then touching/moving/disturbing it could do severe damage.
I see a meter in the tank, do you have other appliances, like a heat mat? Do you measure only temperature or humidity as well?
If you have a heatmat (which i think wouldn't be weird, given your location), where is it placed?
And last, did you see her climbing before? If yes, she could have fallen en got hurt, there is a lot of open space combined with objects to fall on in the enclosure.

Maybe @advan can take a look at your first pictures?

Eemperor

Arachnopeon
She really just sits in her water bowl these few days, But she does move and walk for a little but after that she just comes back and sits in water for the rest of the day. And she does drink A lot.

She used to climb a lot in first week. She would Always stay on the glass. ( Pictures were a week after I got her)
20161129_125126.jpg
But as far as I know She never fell..

I dont have heat mat and my room is always warm and has heater in it so I never thought that it would be a problem, also I mist the glass sometimes to keep humidity right

Attachments

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The space heater is better than a heatmat, so no worries there. Her sitting in the waterdish means she probably needs more moisture/humidity. Misting only slightly raises humidity for a couple of hours.
Try overflowing her waterdish (when she is not in it of course), and pour some water on the substrate down the sides.
Heaters dry out air faster than you would believe.
There is not much else you can do right now. If she goes back to being active for a few days, maybe you could adjust the enclosure by then. But i would wait to see if she gets better. Are there still drops and tears on her leg?

Eemperor

Arachnopeon
Update

She looks perfectly fine, he tears are gone. But she still ate nothing. I tried giving her Superworms and she just walked away, also today I bought Crickets 20170110_183914.jpg
And i tried to feed her but she just walks away.. I tried dropping one near her leg, but she does not eat it. Now I left one cricket in her enclosure. I will wait overnight and see if its gone.
How long can t's be without eating?