PLEASE HELP spider stuck in molt

Brandimarie246

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,

I’ve never used this site before but I’m praying someone might be able to help. I have an 11 year old Chilean Rose Hair - about 72 hours ago I came to check on her and she had molted. She was out of the molt - but there is a piece on her face and abdomen that appears to be stuck. I’ve had her since she was a baby and I will be devastated if she passes or is in pain right now

What really worries me is I found her legs down, squished to the side of the cage and it appeared her legs had gone into the death curl. I thought she was dead.

I still waited 12 hours because I know sometimes molts can be strange

After 12 hours I moved the cage, as she looked incredibly squished, and there was a white liquid I had never seen before seeping through her bedding coming from her legs.

I was so upset and then was surprised to see her move. But she is absolutely not okay. I think something is very wrong here and I’ve waited to see if it would fix itself but it doesn’t appear that way. I took all of the fixtures out of her way, just in case and placed an extra water dish in to ensure maximum moisture but I’m really worried I need to do something :(

I’ve seen her molt many times before as I got her as a baby and nothing like this has ever happened and I’m incredibly worried and upset. I called the closest exotic pet to me and it is over an hour away and I’m convinced she might be in worse shape from a drive.

What do I do?? Please help :( she seems to be struggling so hard, and isn’t moving at all. But I don’t know if I should intervene :(

thank you very much for any responses I greatly appreciate it. She looks so bad I’m so very upset :( I attached a picture

Attachments

Thekla

Arachnoprince
That looks really bad, I'm sorry. I'm not sure if there's much you can do after almost 4 days but read this thread, maybe it'll help: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-stuck-in-its-molt-look-here-for-advice.306038/

I would get her out (very carefully), lay her down on some soft tissue paper and then place her mouthparts in a shallow water dish while you discern what parts are actually stuck and where. Because if that's the water dish I see in the back there's no way she could reach that in her current state.

And if she pulls through you definitely need to change the substrate! Those wood chips are completely inappropriate and can hurt your T, especially while moulting.

Brandimarie246

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much - I had coconut substrate previously and the place I purchase bedding recommended this - I have a bad of it left, should I switch it out before putting her back?

I’m going to try right now - I pray by some miracle it works. I would have done it sooner but I just know you’re not suppose to touch them and I just wasn’t sure I feel so bad, thank you very very much

I got it removed! I wish I had just gone for it earlier. And she’s walking and drank water, my concern now is it appears her 3rd leg on the right side is not functioning properly making it difficult for her to move - perhaps because I left her so long on her side? :( substrate is changed and shallower water dishes have been placed in the tank closet to her. I have humidity high and her tank in a nice warm 75 - 80 degree room. Is there anything else I should do? She still seems very very weak

Here’s a picture - I got it all off after the photo, she seems so weak though

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
The leg is of no concern. She might drop it if it's bothering her, don't worry about that.
It's great you've been able to get the stuck moult off of her and change the substrate and the water dish, but don't try to raise the humidity artificially. She needs water to rehydrate not humid and stuffy conditions in her enclosure.
Now, let her recover and make sure she has access to water. If needed place her back into the water dish (just the mouthparts) or you could try - once she has hardened up a bit more - to flip her and administer water with a pipette directly onto her fangs and mouth. Good luck, I hope she'll pull through! :) And keep us updated.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Poor thing...I'm glad that you were able to get that piece of her molt removed. I sincerely hope that she makes it.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
my concern now is it appears her 3rd leg on the right side is not functioning properly making it difficult for her to move - perhaps because I left her so long on her side? :(
If the leg is a problem then she'll amputate it and grow a new one over subsequent moults.

I have humidity high
Don't do this, this species should be kept dry so raising humidity will only cause more problems than it solves, just make sure it has access to water

Brandimarie246

Arachnopeon
Okay, I’ll leave the humidity! She’s looking far better this morning - not turned on her side anymore and moving her little legs. Thank you so much for all your help I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it. You might have saved her life! Thank you so very very much.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Okay, I’ll leave the humidity! She’s looking far better this morning - not turned on her side anymore and moving her little legs. Thank you so much for all your help I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it. You might have saved her life! Thank you so very very much.
They dont need high humidety they need water to drink. Keep the substrate dry and provide a full waterdish. Good luck with her

cold blood

Staff member
I still waited 12 hours because I know sometimes molts can be strang
In the case of a stuck molt, its imperitive to act quickly....every hour you wait reduces your chance of successfully freeing the t.
it is over an hour away and I’m convinced she might be in worse shape from a drive.
Just....dont...a vet is useless with ts....anything they can do, you can do.
But I don’t know if I should intervene
Always intervene....its a death sentence not to.

just know you’re not suppose to touch them and I jus
Except when they get stuck.
got it removed! I
WONDERFUL!!

leg on the right side is not functioning properly making it difficult for her to move - perhaps because I left her so
Legs mean little to the ts survival....they can function with just a couple.
I have humidity high and her tank in a nice warm 75 - 80 degree room. Is there anything else I
NEVER raise humidity for this species...they absolutely despise moisture and require things to be dry...always.

kay, I’ll leave the humidity!
Just ignore the term altogether, its not relevant to keeping ts.