Please Help!.....quick!

ACoopBB24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i woke up this morning and was checking up on my little inverts. I came to my little 1/2-3/4" GBB and saw that his food had gone uneaten. So i got went and got sumthing to get the food out with, and when i tried to get her to move by blowing, touching, etc. she didnt even move. I switched her into another vile, her hardly moving the whole time. I've been thinking that she was about to molt b/c she hasnt eaten in a while.... could this just be molt immenent or is this the end of my little buddy?...im so worried.

Ive heard of people putting T's in an ICU, but i dont know what that is......

Can someone please help me quickly!

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by ACoopBB24
I've been thinking that she was about to molt b/c she hasnt eaten in a while.... could this just be molt immenent or is this the end of my little buddy?...im so worried.

Ive heard of people putting T's in an ICU, but i dont know what that is......

Can someone please help me quickly!
This is classic pre-molt behavior, so let's hope it's that. If she's in a clean container with a good moisture/ventilation ratio, you're probably better off leaving her alone at this point, as tarantulas are very fragile pre-molt. Good luck!

Joy

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sounds like pre-molt to me also.
Had it layed down any silk, to lay on. You know, a molting bed?
Thats a sure sign a T's ready to molt.

Hope your little buddy's going to be OK.
Re-post ASAP.

Ernie

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pre-molt..... If it does the death curl then you gotta worry......But I'm sure s/he will make it out ok....And try NOT to move s/he to much.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only think I can add is maybe giving the enclosier a lil misting to raise the humidity.
Other then that just leave she or he be. If you Do go to peek do so with as little disterbances as possable for her/him.
It's Dang hard to resist wanting to watch and it is Truely an awsome sight.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ACoopBB24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i came home from school today and looked at her again and she is still in about the same position that she has been in i think. She has not gone into the death curl at all yet.... i cannot believe that i have been so stupid.... she is in what seems to be a molt position.... but i handled what seemed to be an almost dead spider quite a bit..... I FEEL SO BAD!....she seems to still be alive... but i hope and pray that my stupidity this morning and afternoon hasnt sealed it for my little fella. I have put little droplets of water in her vile to help keep the humidity up. IM SO WORRIED and i hope she will be ok.

Please say a little prayer for her....not kidding....God loves all his little creatures.

ACoopBB24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
another thing that i forgot to mention is that one thing that i did notice on my second "stupidity holding of molting tarantula" this evening after school.... and is about the only thing that is keeping my hopes up..... is that since this morning she has popped her carapace off.... so i am almost positive that she is still alive and hopefully she is going to be able to endure my stupidity and keep on molting. Only time will tell.

One question that i have is how long does it usually take for a T to molt after it has popped its top?.....just wondering b/c im going to go psycho waiting to see if she is going to make it until morning.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How long has its top been popped?
It shouldn't take too long once it starts, maybe a hour or so. If that long.

How big is it? If its in a vile it can't be very big at all.

Ernie

ACoopBB24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yea your right it is very small.... about 1/2"..... and the thing is that im not sure how long its top has been popped....and regretfully all i think that i can do know is to wait and see if she survives this experience in the morning:8o :8o :8o

ACoopBB24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
its been about 2 days now and the little guy hasent moved at all.... im afraid that he didnt make it.....im so sad...this is my first experience having a T die.... and it had to my little GBB:8o ....i guess we all experience it sumtime:(

KelliH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm so sorry for your loss, I hope you get another GBB someday!
One thing I have learned over the past couple of years I have been keeping T's is that it is really a "learn as you go" hobby (much moreso than keeping herps IMO) and sometimes you make mistakes along the way.

Best of luck!

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bummer

Sorry to hear about your GBB. That is one of the main T's on my wishlist. It must suck to buy a T just so that it can die (obvious).