Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Please help, Phoneutria or very aggressive tropical spider infestation in my home

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by Beef queen, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Advertisement
    incorrect.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Geb Arachnia Whitney

Geb Arachnia Whitney Arachnoknight Active Member

Spiders are parasites?! I've never read a more ridiculous statement in my life. They are anything BUT. Wasps are parasites, mosquitoes are parasites, tapeworms are parasites, Figs are the product of parasitic wasps, if you wish to contribute to arachnoboards then please don't demonize spiders here. Not here. Go on Facebook and do that. We are spider ENTHUSIASTS. We do not condone the demonizing of any arachnid. Facts here, not fallacies.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. antinous

antinous Pamphopharaoh

[QUOTE="Beef queen, post: 2836861, member: 132264]
    But spiders are too , they in the same class as ticks .
    I was in school for parasitologist before I got sick .[/QUOTE]

...you do realize that just because spiders and ticks are arachnids doesn’t mean that spiders are parasites. I don’t think the school you went to is very credible if they’re telling you that. Not trying to be rude, just correcting any misconceptions.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Spiders are active/ambush predators. They hunt by attacking a prey item, digging their fangs in, and injecting a dosage of venom which kills/paralyzes the prey item. No single spider is a parasite. They have no anatomical structures that would suggest that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

By that logic, one could just as easily say that butterflies are parasites because they are in the same class as mosquitoes - or that squirrels and bunnies are vicious predators because they are in the same class as tigers and killer whales.

If you think spiders are parasites, you may need to review what "parasite" means. A parasite lives in or on another living organism. While there are some parasitoids (like the larvae of braconid wasps) that will eventually kill their hosts, it is in the best interest of the parasite or parasitoid for the host to live as long as possible, thereby providing maximum benefit. If the host dies before the organism is done with that stage of its life, the parasite/parasitoid either dies with it or has to find another host. Spiders are predators - as are lions, sharks, and any number of other creatures that kill and eat their prey. Being predatory is completely different than being parasitic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  6. Let us not forget that bananas, in fact, are omnivores. We share 50% of our genes with 'em, must be troo.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoking Active Member

CA
    Please stop listening to information from people who have little to no knowledge of spiders. That’s the issue which is making you think you have deadly spiders in your house that are biting you. I also have a feeling you are not reading what we are saying. I mentioned earlier that the only medically significant (harmful to humans) spider species which lives in Canada is the black widow, and not even all of Canada. Brown recluse spiders or any recluse spider are not native to Canada. Thanks, @Greasylake.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Beef queen

Beef queen Arachnopeon

That’s why I came to you guys , and yes I felt pretty foolish after panicking but I was pulling weeds when I got the bite on my hand. So I freaked out as it was a fairly nasty bite that burned itched and blistered . I saw the spider , I killed it by accident pulling weeds . So I’m sorry. You guys were right but that’s why I came here to find out .
    I’ll send a pic of what I think my neighbor says is a recluse and even I heard about those and doubted that it was that .
    I gotta try n take a good one .
    Do all spiders molt skins ?

9. antinous

antinous Pamphopharaoh

Yes all of them

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Beef queen

Beef queen Arachnopeon

D2AA92FA-15C2-4A8C-A7CA-B435F5656C05.jpeg
    AD56A426-73A4-441C-8212-94409603D0CE.jpeg That is what I think my neighbor is talking about .
    I’ll post another pic of a different kind but may be a orb again but small , this is mabe the orbs again? I like taking photos of them , they are interesting.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2018
  11. antinous

antinous Pamphopharaoh

Not fluent with true spider types, but yea, that is a species of orb weaver which are competent harmless.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Beef queen

Beef queen Arachnopeon

This is what I think my neighbor calls recluse but even I doubted that .

Yes , I even did not think it was but you are absolutely right , I asked some people and showed the photos and they told me all these things and panic and felt a bit rediculious afterwards, I wasn’t trying to be dramatic, I never caught spiders and put them all together in a container either and they did not like it one bit and mabe that made them seem aggressive to me

Arachnopeon really ? How bout arachnovereaction?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2018
  13. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

depends on the type of parasitism but im assuming you mean mouthparts designed to embed into skin, etc.

there are parasitoid spiders, agyrodes is an example, the dew-drops will lay eggs in egg sacs and are well known for kleptoparasitism.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. Yeah, that's what I meant. I didn't know that Agyrodes even did that, cool stuff.

15. The Snark

The Snark Dumpster Fire of the Gods Old Timer

Rereading an old thread, I'm going to take umbrage to this posting in my paramed capacity. Spiders have 8 legs, snakes don't have any. I've never mixed them up..

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnoangel Active Member

Wow, I didn't realize paramedic training had advanced that far ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoking Active Member

CA
    An important ALS skill is counting legs.

18. The Snark

The Snark Dumpster Fire of the Gods Old Timer

Nod nod. More than 2 or 3, call a vet.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Rhino1

Rhino1 Arachnoknight

Wow . This whole thread was loopy af.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.