Please help, Phoneutria or very aggressive tropical spider infestation in my home

Spiders are parasites?! I've never read a more ridiculous statement in my life. They are anything BUT. Wasps are parasites, mosquitoes are parasites, tapeworms are parasites, Figs are the product of parasitic wasps, if you wish to contribute to arachnoboards then please don't demonize spiders here. Not here. Go on Facebook and do that. We are spider ENTHUSIASTS. We do not condone the demonizing of any arachnid. Facts here, not fallacies.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
[QUOTE="Beef queen, post: 2836861, member: 132264]
But spiders are too , they in the same class as ticks .
I was in school for parasitologist before I got sick .[/QUOTE]

...you do realize that just because spiders and ticks are arachnids doesn’t mean that spiders are parasites. I don’t think the school you went to is very credible if they’re telling you that. Not trying to be rude, just correcting any misconceptions.

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
Spiders are active/ambush predators. They hunt by attacking a prey item, digging their fangs in, and injecting a dosage of venom which kills/paralyzes the prey item. No single spider is a parasite. They have no anatomical structures that would suggest that.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Haha and yes people r the biggest parasite of all .
But spiders are too , they in the same class as ticks .
I was in school for parasitologist before I got sick .
By that logic, one could just as easily say that butterflies are parasites because they are in the same class as mosquitoes - or that squirrels and bunnies are vicious predators because they are in the same class as tigers and killer whales.

If you think spiders are parasites, you may need to review what "parasite" means. A parasite lives in or on another living organism. While there are some parasitoids (like the larvae of braconid wasps) that will eventually kill their hosts, it is in the best interest of the parasite or parasitoid for the host to live as long as possible, thereby providing maximum benefit. If the host dies before the organism is done with that stage of its life, the parasite/parasitoid either dies with it or has to find another host. Spiders are predators - as are lions, sharks, and any number of other creatures that kill and eat their prey. Being predatory is completely different than being parasitic.

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
By that logic, one could just as easily say that butterflies are parasites because they are in the same class as mosquitoes - or that squirrels and bunnies are vicious predators because they are in the same class as tigers and killer whales.

If you think spiders are parasites, you may need to review what "parasite" means. A parasite lives in or on another living organism. While there are some parasitoids (like the larvae of braconid wasps) that will eventually kill their hosts, it is in the best interest of the parasite or parasitoid for the host to live as long as possible, thereby providing maximum benefit. If the host dies before the organism is done with that stage of its life, the parasite/parasitoid either dies with it or has to find another host. Spiders are predators - as are lions, sharks, and any number of other creatures that kill and eat their prey. Being predatory is completely different than being parasitic.
Let us not forget that bananas, in fact, are omnivores. We share 50% of our genes with 'em, must be troo.

NYAN

Arachnoking
. My neighbors said same as you , big ones orbs but the little ones r some type of recluses. They said those are the ones that r viscous. .
Please stop listening to information from people who have little to no knowledge of spiders. That’s the issue which is making you think you have deadly spiders in your house that are biting you. I also have a feeling you are not reading what we are saying. I mentioned earlier that the only medically significant (harmful to humans) spider species which lives in Canada is the black widow, and not even all of Canada. Brown recluse spiders or any recluse spider are not native to Canada. Thanks, @Greasylake.

Beef queen

Arachnopeon
The range for brown recluses doesnt extend as far north as Canada, @NYAN knows a lot about Loxosceles species.
That’s why I came to you guys , and yes I felt pretty foolish after panicking but I was pulling weeds when I got the bite on my hand. So I freaked out as it was a fairly nasty bite that burned itched and blistered . I saw the spider , I killed it by accident pulling weeds . So I’m sorry. You guys were right but that’s why I came here to find out .
I’ll send a pic of what I think my neighbor says is a recluse and even I heard about those and doubted that it was that .
I gotta try n take a good one .
Do all spiders molt skins ?

Beef queen

Arachnopeon
D2AA92FA-15C2-4A8C-A7CA-B435F5656C05.jpeg
That’s why I came to you guys , and yes I felt pretty foolish after panicking but I was pulling weeds when I got the bite on my hand. So I freaked out as it was a fairly nasty bite that burned itched and blistered . I saw the spider , I killed it by accident pulling weeds . So I’m sorry. You guys were right but that’s why I came here to find out .
I’ll send a pic of what I think my neighbor says is a recluse and even I heard about those and doubted that it was that .
I gotta try n take a good one .
Do all spiders molt skins ?
AD56A426-73A4-441C-8212-94409603D0CE.jpeg That is what I think my neighbor is talking about .
I’ll post another pic of a different kind but may be a orb again but small , this is mabe the orbs again? I like taking photos of them , they are interesting.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Not fluent with true spider types, but yea, that is a species of orb weaver which are competent harmless.

Beef queen

Arachnopeon
This is what I think my neighbor calls recluse but even I doubted that .

Please stop listening to information from people who have little to no knowledge of spiders. That’s the issue which is making you think you have deadly spiders in your house that are biting you. I also have a feeling you are not reading what we are saying. I mentioned earlier that the only medically significant (harmful to humans) spider species which lives in Canada is the black widow, and not even all of Canada. Brown recluse spiders or any recluse spider are not native to Canada. Thanks, @Greasylake.
Yes , I even did not think it was but you are absolutely right , I asked some people and showed the photos and they told me all these things and panic and felt a bit rediculious afterwards, I wasn’t trying to be dramatic, I never caught spiders and put them all together in a container either and they did not like it one bit and mabe that made them seem aggressive to me

Yes , I even did not think it was but you are absolutely right , I asked some people and showed the photos and they told me all these things and panic and felt a bit rediculious afterwards, I wasn’t trying to be dramatic, I never caught spiders and put them all together in a container either and they did not like it one bit and mabe that made them seem aggressive to me
Arachnopeon really ? How bout arachnovereaction?

Last edited by a moderator:

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Spiders are active/ambush predators. They hunt by attacking a prey item, digging their fangs in, and injecting a dosage of venom which kills/paralyzes the prey item. No single spider is a parasite. They have no anatomical structures that would suggest that.
depends on the type of parasitism but im assuming you mean mouthparts designed to embed into skin, etc.

there are parasitoid spiders, agyrodes is an example, the dew-drops will lay eggs in egg sacs and are well known for kleptoparasitism.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Doctors/Paramedics aren’t always the most reliable when it comes to IDing spiders or snakes
Rereading an old thread, I'm going to take umbrage to this posting in my paramed capacity. Spiders have 8 legs, snakes don't have any. I've never mixed them up..