please help. new owner.

newscorpowner

Arachnopeon
hi,

just got my first flat rock the other day and im not sure whats normal or not. from what i was told at the pet shop its only a few month old and they set up my tank for me instore and told me where i should have the heat mat.

now its not realy the most active scorpion from what ive seen. through the day it just sits under its rock and some times at night wonders out but still just sits. also i put a small cricket in the tank and it hasnt eating yet.

any help would be great.

thanks.

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That sounds normal they are not too a give but will be more active at night. They can go awhile with out eating and it is probally getting usedto its new enclosure. Also how big is it, I wouldn't trust what the pet store tells you about the age.

By the way welcome to the hobby and the boards!

newscorpowner

Arachnopeon
ive came home from work today and it seems to have been out and moving around as i can see tracks. i would say about a inch and a half to two inches (thats not counting the tail) in size.

thanks for the help i'll try post some pics soon.

Nodroj

Arachnopeon
Don't worry about the inactivity. I've had mine for a month and the most activity I see is every once and awhile he does laps in his cage pinching the air randomly. It's strangely entertaining and slightly hypnotic. Haha

llamastick

Arachnoknight
Make sure the heat mat is installed on the side of the tank and not the bottom. Flatrocks also prefer to have some... well... flat rocks in the enclosure, to squeeze in-between. Slate, shale, etc.

Inactivity is no big deal, though.

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Flat rock speices can be like having a pet rock lol.

Stacked slate is ideal, but stacked Cork will also work.
Depending on the species.

I have some that all ways hang on the sides of the enclosure (KitterKeeper)

Post some pictures. If its a Hadogens Then def. go with stacked slate.

I offer mine a water dish aswell. But the tank is very well ventilated and is keep dry.