Please help! New Avic!

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just got a new avic today! But I think that it might have mites or it might be dieing! It will move its fangs up and down. And it will put ONe leg under it, and move it back and fourth! please help me with this one!

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
O! I put in a peice of wood from the garage, what wood is it that kills spiders?

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i by all means may be wrong, but..

it sounds like your T is just cleaning itself?
Mine do that sometimes, one leg at a time.
Do you see anything crawling around on it?

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
another guess would be cedar.

Originally posted by hampton
O! I put in a peice of wood from the garage, what wood is it that kills spiders?
Cedar has toxins that harm reptiles, so I would assume that it would harm T's...

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont know.. It looks like its itching it's self. Its about 2'-3' and in pre-molt.

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well, unless you actually see something on it

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. My T's will look like they are eating their own legs, and "gnashing" their fangs, I find it interesting to watch. of course, I sure do hope someone else posts, because I would feel terrible if I was completely wrong here.

DId you sterilize the wood from the garage?

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
My A.Avic was doing that last night... i think it is just cleaning itself... Cedar and Pine are bad for tarantulas... any coniferous tree. But there is exceptions anything that has dried out 100% is safe. Anyways I wouldnt be worried because mine is perfectly healthy from what I can tell and mine was doing it.

TheDon

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Probably cleaning itself...

I agree with Rapunzel and think its just cleaning itself. Some of mine do it often and some of my T's don't do it at all (at least while I'm watching). As for the wood, hopefully it isn't cedar/cypress or that pressure treated wood that is full of preservatives to make it last longer. I'd take it out if I were you. Good luck.:)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
none of this "think" stuff -- it def. is cleaning itself.

no worries. they're really clean animals!
And def. no cedar or pine!!!

peace
dave

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I put some pine in the tank... But I took it out before to long(5 to 10 min's), and I put some fake flowers in it.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i agree with previous postings. it sounds like it's just grooming. this might be a sign that it feels comfortable, which is excellent. :)

hehehe, i'm glad to see some people that are even more paranoid than i am. (grin)

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No it wont move... I went to bed last night it was in one spot, I can understand that. BUt, when I woke up it was in the same spot! They guy at the pet store said that, it was NEVER introduced to sudstrate... They had a little square of that fake plastic grass, the tank was about: 5'(W) by 10'(DI).. It was sad.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i've thusly had great success with spagham moss REALLY mushed down flat.

try that, i wouldn't recommend any wood litter, etc.

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Give it time to adjust...

the tank was about: 5'(W) by 10'(DI)..
Must be a big avic...;)

Seriously, just set it up correctly in its new home (caresheets, previous posts, etc. for description) and give it some time. I had one T that didn't seem to move at all for about two weeks after I got it. Now it moves around all the time. I know you are worried and have the T's best interest at heart, but don't stress out worrying about it. Give it some time to get adjusted.:)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Calm down, buddy.

Thats how alot of arboreals spend their lives. Just... hanging out. My poec's just spread out and just idle the time away waiting for food I suppose.

Thats normal!
Have you read up on the arboreals or other T's like that yet? Flip through some of the old posts.

They're pretty hardy creatures that aren't going to die in a couple minutes.

T's arent always on the move, hunting, and dancing around :) they're usually just passing time (during the day) and then eating during the night (in the wild). Although mine eat whenever they want, but this isn't the wild..

enough of this post.
My point is, when a T is just 'hanging out', its nothing to worry about!

peace
dave

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Your Avic is cleaning itself, all of my Avic's have done this from time to time. As for the wood, you may want to get a piece of cork bark. Some types of wood are not good for the T, and others will mildew which is bad for the T also. I use either cork bark or fake leaves, they will attack their tube webs to these and you will not have to worry about mildew or harmful wood.

What type of substrate are you using? Make sure it is something that holds moisture to help with the humidity. I use the shredded coconut husk/bark or the growing medium that comes in the bricks.