Please help! My T has a lump!?

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
View attachment 316366

At certain angles you can see it better.
It still looks like a spot where she just kicked hairs. Is there a wound there? Is it wet looking at all? It doesn't appear to be a 'classic cyst' so that's good. I would just give her water and keep an eye on her for a couple days, but she's moving fine in the video so that's good as well. ;)

FatSpider

Arachnopeon
Well when I recorded her walking I couldn’t see it or notice it but yes she has been acting normal since it appeared it seems. When I got up in the morning I examined her well when she was on the tank glass and I could not see any liquid around the “lump”. Do you think it will go away after her molt? People are saying she is in pre molt so is there anything I should have perfect to maximise a successful molt for her ? Thanks for all your replies guys.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
if it was a tiny little wound would this be fatal for her ?
Probably not, especially if it isn't leaking. The best thing you can do for her to have a good moult is to provide ample fresh water. If you want to be really safe, you could put an extra water dish in with her so she knows its there, but I'm confident she'll do just as fine with the one, as long as you know she's drinking from it. If she's made a web you could lightly squirt a little bit of water directly onto the web, so that she might drink the droplets but again that's not necessary per se.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
You're taking the photos too close and we can't see anything - they're out of focus. Shine a flashlight on the area and take another photo from farther away.
The video kept panning in on her and then panning away, so I was jumping around to try and see her move for more than a couple of seconds, but is she moving her back legs at all? It looked as if they were kind of being dragged a bit.
Was there a cooling pack in with the shipment? Was it still cool when she arrived?

FatSpider

Arachnopeon
No there was no cooling/heating packs in the shipment but it had moist tissue probably to prevent dehydration/humidity. It was well packed and packaging was cool when I received her. She is currently sitting under a tree log and digging in a corner so I guess she is ok ?

FatSpider

Arachnopeon
I will examine her movements more if she comes out of hiding to see if she is indeed dragging her legs, if she is what could it mean ?

FatSpider

Arachnopeon
I will update with whatever I can and hopefully she is completely fine and just needs to settle in. I put in a second water dish near the back of the tank and came back later to find some little bits of dirt in it, maybe and hopefully she had a little drink.

FatSpider

Arachnopeon
If I find her in a good position I’ll try to get some good photos/recordings of her walking.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
And try to take the picture from the side so one can se the bump. Taken from above, one will not see it! It is the same to take picture of a hill from above. (If you know what i mean?)

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
@FatSpider
One last bit of advice from me, try and relax about it. Worrying and changing things all the time isn't going to help. Your tarantula basically needs from you -

Water.
Food once a week or so.
A suitable enclosure.
Leaving alone to do it's thing.

Really, spiders are very easy to keep once you realx about stuff. :)

FatSpider

Arachnopeon
Ok thanks for helping me out, do you guys have any ideas how long a pre molt can last for a Nhandu Chromatus?

Last edited:

FatSpider

Arachnopeon
She is in a good position but if I open her tank I could disturb her and being a nhandu chromatus they can be very feisty. She could end up bolting at my phone and trying to bite it possibly braking her fangs and she seems to just be chilling on the substrate in the middle of the open so I think I’ll stop worrying and let her do her thing. I plan to keep her abdomen at 1.5x her carapace size in case she falls and ruptures it or something else happens. She seems to have dug in the back right corner of the terrarium but I have to add more substrate for her overall in the whole enclosure to prevent falling. Have you guys ever had a T make a burrow with no structure around it? Like just in the plain coco fiber not with a hide reinforcing it?

FatSpider

Arachnopeon
I am going to put her inside a exo terra Faunarium as she has climbed onto the mesh and I’m extremely worried her little feet could get stuck! My substrate is on the way and I’ll be customising the top with acrylic so she doesn’t risk this. Would keeping her in a large Faunarium with no substrate be bad for her? I will add substrate to it when it comes but this is kinda of a emergency in case she loses a leg.

FatSpider

Arachnopeon
She’s also in pre molt should I just leave her or move her to a clear large Faunarium ?

FatSpider

Arachnopeon
:happy: Ok well thank you everyone for helping me out and reassuring me that she’s fine. If I see any changes or things wrong with her I’ll post here about it and I’ll respond to messages here every time I check.