Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Please help! My T has a lump!?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by FatSpider, Aug 1, 2019.

1. FatSpider

FatSpider Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Ok so I bought a Nhandu Chromatus Female around 3 inches in leg span from spidersworld.eu and received it on the 30th of July, it was in transit for exactly 7 days but was fine on arrival except from being a bit sluggish and relatively slow moving. I put it into is enclosure and soon enough it began to walk around and explore the area. Later on in the day I fed it a male dubia roach nymph around the size of the carapace+abdomen (that’s body length yes?) and after what seemed like a mini battle of the roach trying to buck the T off its back it was devoured whole. I watched the whole takedown and my T seemed completely fine after it’s meal. When I received the T I did not see any lump on its abdomen but all of a sudden by the looks of it a “random” lump has been noticed by me and has appeared out of nowhere! I really don’t know what to do and I’m really concerned in case my nhandu will die :(. I will provide you guys with updates and pictures, this is what I have of now: (sorry for bad quality my phone isn’t the best, but you can still see it)

upload_2019-8-1_12-55-46.jpeg
    (You can see it towards the back left of the abdomen)
    upload_2019-8-1_12-57-14.jpeg
    This is a random video I took of her walking because I was worried she wasn’t walking right as well and I know it’s hard to see but you can’t really see any sort of “lump”. (Sorry for background noises)
    https://share.icloud.com/photos/0CmVK-37ClnemW439okRCj6Mg#Hamilton,_Scotland
    Can you guys also try to explain the weird brown colour on her abdomen? Is that premolt? Also when I fed her the roach, her abdomen size increased so I will feed her 7 days from when I fed her if she’s still alive..
    I have kept her on dry substrate with plenty of room to burrow and I have kept the Temperatures around 25c with 60%-70% Humidity. I spray the enclosure down with a light mist that quickly evaporates in 1 day to provide a significant humidity boost as well as the water dish to give more humidity. If it ever gets to cold I have a heat mat to the left side of my enclosure that switches on when it goes below 25c. Also this is the terrarium I have for her: https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/exo-terra-glass-terrarium-60x45x45cm/

2. FatSpider

FatSpider Arachnopeon

I know the tank is really big for her the now but I wanted her to have a lot of space for when she reaches 6 inches as the tank would be 3x her length.

3. SteveIDDQD

SteveIDDQD Arachnosquire

I cant see any lump I'm afraid, but even if there is, you can't really fix it so just work on looking after your spider. Brown colour is the spiders skin, it's kicked the top layer of hairs off, nothing to worry about. It's not in pre-moult.

Some advice -

Stop spraying. Really, stop it. Throw the water sprayer away, and the hydrometer that I'm assuming you are using to chase humidity numbers. Overflow the water dish so one corner of the substrate is damp right to the bottom, let it dry out (probably at least a week), then repeat. That's you spider's water requirements taken care of. They can't absorb water from the air, so "humidity" is not required, despite what care sheets say.

Don't feed it again until it's settled in - in a few weeks.

That cage is probably too tall and you risk a fall that would hurt of kill your tarantula. You want no more than 1.5 to 2x the spider leg span from the top of the substrate to the top of the cage. Add more substrate if you can - the door may prevent this.

The mesh on top of that cage should be replaced with plexi-glass or similar with holes drilled in it. The small claws on the end of the tarantula's feet can get stuck in that mesh, leaving the spider hanging and possibly losing a leg.

Make sure the heat mat isn't actually touching the enclosure, leave a gap so you don't get a hot spot on the glass - This can kill your Tarantula. You may also want to consider getting rid of the heat mat altogether depending on how cold your home gets at night, they do just fine at normal room temperature.

That's all I can muster, I'm sure others will offer extra advice. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  4. FatSpider

FatSpider Arachnopeon

Ok thanks you for your advice, I will try to fix the enclosure, can you really not see it though the lump ?

5. FatSpider

FatSpider Arachnopeon

Will mold not grow from the water dish area ? I will be sure to pickup more coconut fiber so It doesn’t die from a fall

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  6. FatSpider

FatSpider Arachnopeon

I will replace the mesh with a acrylic sheet with holes drilled into it, would that be fine? And also would the spider still be able to climb this ?

7. ThatsUnpossible

ThatsUnpossible Arachnosquire Active Member

UK
    @cold blood, if you’re around can you help FatSpider?

I would also like to know if his T’s gait is normal? She’s almost goose-stepping?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. FatSpider

FatSpider Arachnopeon

Goose stepping ? Did you view the clip of her walking ?

9. FrDoc

FrDoc Gen. 1:24-25 Arachnosupporter

@FatSpider, I can’t make out anything that looks like a lump. However, my Nhandu’s butt looks almost exactly like that currently. That’s a typical pre-molt look for them. Or, it’s really been torqued lately and kicked most of its “hairs”.

• Like Like x 1
  10. FatSpider

FatSpider Arachnopeon

Ok when I got her she did not look like she was in pre molt and she even ate a roach on the same day I got her, but if she’s is in pre molt and she ate a day before could this have bad consequences?

11. ThatsUnpossible

ThatsUnpossible Arachnosquire Active Member

UK
    Yes, that’s why i’m Asking. I don’t know what it’s called, I know my vet called it goose-stepping when my dog did it.

Didn’t mean to worry you, sorry. I just wanted one of the experienced ones to look at it. For all I know it could be normal! IDK

• Like Like x 1
  12. FatSpider

FatSpider Arachnopeon

I just noticed that she has started to dig at the back right corner of her terrarium under a big branch, is this a good sign and the start of a burrow?

13. FatSpider

FatSpider Arachnopeon

Well thank you guys for helping me out so far and responding.

14. FrDoc

FrDoc Gen. 1:24-25 Arachnosupporter

Nope.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Demonclaws

Demonclaws Arachnosquire Active Member

Not in premolt. Just kicked hairs. Ts walked like that when exploring and mapping the surrounding.
    Not suitable enclosure at all. Can't see lumps either. Maybe you can circle the area of interest.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

I dont see any lump eigher

• Like Like x 1
  17. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

Your spider looks fine and healthy. :) Are you certain the "lump" you are seeing on her isn't just one of her book lungs??? There are four of them on the ventral side of the abdomen and they are tannish beige in colour. I agree that you should stop misting. Just provide clean fresh water and maybe a bit of moisture around the water dish in the substrate. Then, you can rotate the placement of the water dish in each corner so that no one side builds up too much moisture and moulds. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. FatSpider

FatSpider Arachnopeon

sorry for late response everyone

19. FatSpider

FatSpider Arachnopeon

I will circle the area, but maybe I am just worrying to much. I am going to slope the substrate towards the back and to decrease the height of the tank by as much as I can and I will buy a hide to encourage her to burrow where I put it. I am also going to buy a acrylic slate and cut it to fit the exo terra tank and then I will drill a ton of holes on the acrylic slate to replace the mesh. Guys also why is it bad to mist ?

20. FatSpider

FatSpider Arachnopeon

upload_2019-8-1_22-39-40.jpeg

At certain angles you can see it better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.