please help my obt!

kush

Arachnopeon
i bought my 2nd t today. My obt is staying on top of the screen or up in the top corners though most of the time.i understand that there semi abroeal and i only had it since a day ,but im worried that her foot might get stuck in the top.what should i do to make her avoid the top and if i ever do get bit how should i treat it? P.s i also changed the substrate of my rose hair.i had a post about bark bits,but i put coco husk in both now and im gonna leave it that way.i would of done this a long time ago but this was my first time with it.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
many T's will stick to the side or the lid while adjusting to a new home. If this continues for another day then I'd be suspicious.

Can you see if a foot is stuck? Get a flashlight and try to get as close as possible.

How big is it?

kush

Arachnopeon
its walking up side down on the top of the screen and it aint stuck.i dont want her to fall or get stuck She almost adult size, i think.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
sounds like she's getting acquainted.

How long has she been in there, how much substrate and how big the enclosure?

kush

Arachnopeon
10 gal and its about 2 to 3 inches of coco husk. I dont want her to borror thats why.i would rather become more webby then to stay underground.i had her since like 8 hours

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
It could take a week or more at most, but from my experience, it's usually a couple of days. Just relax, let her be, she'll settle in.

Better to be a burrower than get injured, so if you think it would be more safe with more sub, I say do it.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
8 hours, sounds like she is getting acquainted to her new home.

When I had an OBT, I made a small hide for her to have some cover while she got used to her new home. She burrowed right in that spot. Mine never showed the semi-arboreal tendencies.

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
to prevent mine from burrowing I simply kept the substrate damp until there was a thick enough web mat covering the enclosure, there is plenty of depth. and if the T decides to burrow, it will most likely be out and about since the enclosure will be webbed up.

kush

Arachnopeon
well thanks for the info. What about the bite though,because when i placed her in the tank she ran out real quick.she then started to bite the glass and was really defensive when i put her back in.this is my 2nd t.my 1st was my rose hair that is super docile.when i add some more hides or decorations and she gets loose.because theres just a water dish and a half log hide.if i do get bit what should i do?

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you do get bit, it shouldn't be life threatening (unless your allergic, but even then it probably wouldn't) It would probably hurt though. Read the bite reports, there are descriptions of peoples bites.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
well thanks for the info. What about the bite though,because when i placed her in the tank she ran out real quick.she then started to bite the glass and was really defensive when i put her back in.this is my 2nd t.my 1st was my rose hair that is super docile.when i add some more hides or decorations and she gets loose.because theres just a water dish and a half log hide.if i do get bit what should i do?
an OBT is a huge step in temperament from a G. rosea. :eek:

but let it get it's bearings and then things will begin to come together. I would have gone with a hardy new world like a GBB or possibly and a Acanthoscurria geniculata. Either way, you will have your hands full for a little while. Congrats on the new T though. Be aware and have fun with this T that is angry for being alive. :clap:

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You went from a kitten of a tarantula to a freaking velociraptor of tarantulas. I commend your boldness sir! You will be missed.... lol. Give it some time to adjust, and leave it alone :).

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Sounds like normal obt behavior to me. Mine stayed at the top of her enclosure for a few weeks, then crawled down and burrowed. No worries.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OBTs can be semi arboreal from what I have seen I only have one right now but it spends half its time in webbing its made on the wall and half its time in its burrow. Ive actually had a few refuse to burrow and make tube webs like avics at the top of the cage.

kush

Arachnopeon
if i take out her hide,would she web up the whole cage?because shes just staying under the log and is webbing herself in.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Id let her web herself in sounds like she found a place she feels safe. there are a few reasons she may be webbing herself in including but not limited to getting ready to molt, protection, and possibly just getting out of the light.

kush

Arachnopeon
she molted a few weeks ago.thats what the guy at the shop told me. I will just let her be then. Thanks for the advise

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OBTs can be semi arboreal from what I have seen I only have one right now but it spends half its time in webbing its made on the wall and half its time in its burrow. Ive actually had a few refuse to burrow and make tube webs like avics at the top of the cage.
Mine does both. She made a hammock that attaches to the cork bark hide I made her that then attaches to the top corner of the enclosure. She sits there waiting patiently for me to open up and say hi. :D

Then somedays she will go down below into her burrow and wont come out for a few days at a time.