Please help me someone

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
Hi everyone...
I think i'll have to quit the hobby for the comming few years if i can't get help with this problem. The problem is that my parents, out of nowhere, for no damn reason at all, won't let me catch prey items for my small inverts! When i explain to them that i will absolutely ONLY use them as food, they start bitching that "no more insects are coming into your collection" sorry for the language, but everything that i've litterally built up for the past year, will now have to startve to death. They won't even allow me to buy flightless fruitflies!!!!!
Please, someone help me getting them to at least accept that i need to feed them...
EDIT: inverts are honestly the only thing fun about my life anymore, my parents are constantly going on about me playing video games too much, but now that i do the exact thing i've always loved, it's wrong... depression is making it worse actually (and yes, i've been diagnosed...).

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Absolutely no idea how you feel anyone on here can help change your parent's minds. They already know your inverts need insects to live. And they've unfortunately made it perfectly clear they don't want it happening under their roof. possibly because they've seen escapees running around? Although insects can get into a home anyway.

You've got 3 choices. Sit down with your parents and explain to them CALMLY what your inverts mean to you and ask them if you'll be careful can you please continue to feed them insects. Tell them you'll buy crickets from the shop and keep them in a large tub that's inescapable.

The second choice is too sneak food into the house for your inverts. Although you'll have to ask yourself how your parents will react when/if they find out. Are they likely to just pick up your enclosures and throw them in the bin? Will they just shout?

Thirdly you accept your parents rules and sell your inverts. You could maybe see if a friend would take them so at least that way you'd still get to see them.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm sorry to hear that, man. Of course your inverts need those for live. But I fail to realize how I can be of help in such a case, because it's (almost) impossible that someone would change his/her views about something, no matter, only due to the first random people of the Internet words.

So I will talk to you. You are young as F-Word (according to your profile) and with the entire life in front of you. If you can't manage a compromise of all sort with your parents, you probably want to sell/trade those. Better than witness a slow death. 'Tomorrow', when you will work and live as an independent man, the animals you love would be there again waiting for you.

Don't let depression or other poop prevail on you, Christ. Never. Always with head up. We are Europeans, hell. Do you think Pier Gerlofs Donia, if alive today, would let depression prevail? :-s

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
Absolutely no idea how you feel anyone on here can help change your parent's minds. They already know your inverts need insects to live. And they've unfortunately made it perfectly clear they don't want it happening under their roof. possibly because they've seen escapees running around? Although insects can get into a home anyway.

You've got 3 choices. Sit down with your parents and explain to them CALMLY what your inverts mean to you and ask them if you'll be careful can you please continue to feed them insects. Tell them you'll buy crickets from the shop and keep them in a large tub that's inescapable.

The second choice is too sneak food into the house for your inverts. Although you'll have to ask yourself how your parents will react when/if they find out. Are they likely to just pick up your enclosures and throw them in the bin? Will they just shout?

Thirdly you accept your parents rules and sell your inverts. You could maybe see if a friend would take them so at least that way you'd still get to see them.
Well, choice one i'll try asap to be honest, 2 i've been doing in the beginning though, but thanks for the help!

basin79

ArachnoGod
Well, choice one i'll try asap to be honest, 2 i've been doing in the beginning though, but thanks for the help!
Ask them if they'll sit down and have a calm discussion with you. Make them a couple of brews and sit down and have a talk. LISTEN to what they say even if you disagree with it. Once they've had their say you calmy reply with a counter argument. You'll be surprised just want can be achieved with calm reasoning.

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
I'm sorry to hear that, man. Of course your inverts need those for live. But I fail to realize how I can be of help in such a case, because it's (almost) impossible that someone would change his/her views about something, no matter, only due to the first random people of the Internet words.

So I will talk to you. You are young as F-Word (according to your profile) and with the entire life in front of you. If you can't manage a compromise of all sort with your parents, you probably want to sell/trade those. Better than witness a slow death. 'Tomorrow', when you will work and live as an independent man, the animals you love would be there again waiting for you.

Don't let depression or other poop prevail on you, Christ. Never. Always with head up. We are Europeans, hell. Do you think Pier Gerlofs Donia, if alive today, would let depression prevail? :-s
I'll see what i can do, thanks

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Everyone is right. Just have a calm conversation with the parents and go from there. It sounds like they just don't want you to add to your collection. I doubt they are actually mean enough to force you to starve your pets to death. That means there is some disconnect in the dialogue. Ask them what they want you to feed them if you can't catch anything.

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
Ask them if they'll sit down and have a calm discussion with you. Make them a couple of brews and sit down and have a talk. LISTEN to what they say even if you disagree with it. Once they've had their say you calmy reply with a counter argument. You'll be surprised just want can be achieved with calm reasoning.
It's been resolved,i can still keep everything i have, and if i found something, i have to duscuss it with them. Way better than what could have been, thanks.