please help me confirm the sex my p. metallica.. thanks

toidy

Arachnosquire
it's giving me a headache. please help me..
will really appreciate your opinions..

TIA:)

3rd day post molt pics:

it's about 3.5" LS..

ventral view:

dorsal view:

Last edited:

brachybaum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Man, P. Metallicas are by far the hardest pokies to sex :wall:. Honestly to me looks male, ventral and dorsal. I have what I think is a female but my camera won't take a good close picture otherwise I would post it.

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know how to dorsal sex, but ventrally I think it looks male.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am not a pro with pokies. But Id say male as well. Also the dorsal stripe suggests this too.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I dunno, I've read that dorsal sexing for (young) P. metallicas isn't reliable, (source 1, source 2, source 3).

I'm going to go against the grain and say female for this one, as it looks nothing like my male (which is 4", close to the OPs spider's size), and more closely resembles my female with both book lung orientation and furrow shape. I also don't see any obvious epiandrous fusillae in the OPs pic. Here's some pics of my pair to compare:

Male P. metallica (about 4")

Female P. metallica (about 5")

This one was taken by Koh_ before she molted (she was 4.5" at the time), when I asked for a ventral shot. It looks a lot like OPs ventral.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, I'm gonna hijack my friend's thread and include a photo of mine.

Most of the guys who replied in my thread say its male. Guess I'd put it here for comparison.

2bears

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
rude behavior

Tridy ask a question about his pokies sex, then somebody gets on here and tells him it a tarantula, we should be trying to help each other for the better
of the hobby...not be rude:embarrassed:
2Bears

toidy

Arachnosquire
Toidy ask a question about his pokies sex, then somebody gets on here and tells him it a tarantula, we should be trying to help each other for the better
of the hobby...not be rude:embarrassed:
2Bears
it's ok man.. some people are just not what you expect them to be. thanks for noticing though. :)