Please help ID this guy!

RepugnantOoze

Arachnosquire
IMG_1361.JPG
Found this guy in the woods about a month ago. I live in the Southern Part of New Jersey. He is a wandering spider and has some distictive features. I noticed the bottom side of his abdomen is white with small black dots in random places. He has eyes at almost the very top of his head. His fangs are kinda hooked inwardly from what I can tell. I call him a he because of the size of his abdomen which is smallish and pedipalps which are quite large. Hes is just under .75 of an inch without measuring his legs which would make him almost an inch exactly. I am a amateur spider enthusiast so I have a couple guesses.
My first guess is that he is a large grass spider but he does not make that distinct flat web but I think I remember reading the males don't always build them. My second guess is maybe six-spotted fishing spider male he is lacking the 6 spots but I did find him near a small stream .. Pretty stumped!

RepugnantOoze

Arachnosquire
I think I realized he is a wolf spider lol. I feel pretty stupid when I first caught him he looked so much different than the google results. I look again and hes identical. Sorry I wasted a post..

TeaandTs

Arachnopeon
Haha, this exact thing happened to me a while ago! Caught this spider, took pictures of him, decided he looked like a grass spider, released him. Then, went home and looked at the pictures again and realised it was most definitely and obviously a wolf spider. :banghead:

RepugnantOoze

Arachnosquire
Thanks so much for that info biolantefan! I was so curious about her exact species! Shes still alive but not eating much lately any clue why??

RepugnantOoze

Arachnosquire
I havent observed any attempts at burrowing but i dont think she would be able to in the current sub im using. Any tips for replacment sub? Do all lycosidae burrow in winter?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Need someone to suggest a proper substrate for lycos here. General rule: they hibernate or die.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It may be an adult that already completed it's cycle. If it has, it won't burrow to hibernate, it'll just pass away as it gets colder.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It may be an adult that already completed it's cycle. If it has, it won't burrow to hibernate, it'll just pass away as it gets colder.
What is their average life span? I seem to remember 2 years is an unusual stretch. Males shorter.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Around 1.5-2 years for a female I'd think. They probably don't make it to quite 2 years though on average

RepugnantOoze

Arachnosquire
Quick update followed by some questions. (assuming this information will be helpful to someone in the future).

She has been quite reclusive as of late. She comes out to drink but hides somewhere in her enclosure for a large periods of the day. What could this behaviour mean? Also, could increasing the humidity in her enclosure be wise? Considering every inch of ground outside is considerably wet.

RepugnantOoze

Arachnosquire
She has eaten since my last update! Also, ive read that rabidosa sp. do NOT burrow and prefer to live in high grass and leaves. I threw some dry leaves in her enclosure and she has spent most of here time hiding in them. I plan to move her into a smaller enclosure soon and will try to get some more pictures.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
i was going to say either Rabidosa rabida or punctulata. both are quite common around my neighborhood (Southern N.J.). a better picture of either the top or bottom of the abdomen will help with an id.