Please help! Eresus walkaneri

Kortiz10

Arachnopeon
I Was handling my velvet spider to see how she was doing and i she fell off my hand on to the hard wood floor. She is leaking fluid from her abdomen and is back in her enclosure. Does anyone have any advice? Should I expect the worst?

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
If she is leaking from her abdomen it's not good and yes I would prepare for the worst. And as stated above just don't handle.
You can try putting corn starch I think it's called on the wound in the hope it clots but there is no guarantee it will work if the wound is large it won't. I have never tried this though so do research I have the right thing before you do it .

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sounds like just a loss. Big falls are usually fatal. It happens to us all, probably smash the spider to prevent it suffering.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Sounds like just a loss. Big falls are usually fatal. It happens to us all, probably smash the spider to prevent it suffering.
Id not recommend killing it just yet, there are plenty of details that have been left out and the spider could recover. And last time I checked, the lengths that spiders feel pain or "suffer" was greatly debated upon. I'd only recommend euthanizing a spider if you are certain it is in a terminal condition.

Last edited:

magouilles

Arachnoknight
as said before, drop corn starch and coat its wound pretty well it'll stop the bleeding if it isn't a fatal wound
internal damages could have occured and that is where you really can't do anything, you'll see in time if it gets better

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
If it’s leaking from its abdomen and it’s ruptured it likely will not make it. Hard lesson to learn

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Id not recommend killing it just yet, there are plenty of details that have been left out and the spider could recover. And last time I checked, the lengths that spiders feel pain or "suffer" was greatly debated upon. I'd only recommend euthanizing a spider if you are certain it is in a terminal condition.
That is true, I guess the corn starch thing can always be tried, but I'm curious as to its efficacy.