Please Give Criteria

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I hope this doesn't come off really snide.

If I don't know you, and I don't know what kind of spiders you keep, and don't know your interests, how in the heck am I supposed to know what spider you should get?

If you are going to ask other people what kind of spider to get, or even to pick from a list of spiders, please list the criteria that you are looking for in a spider. Do you want a docile spider or one that will defend its territory to the bitter end. Do you like stripes? Do you like bright colors? Do you like brown? Do you want something that webs up the whole tank? Do you want arborial? Do you want terrestrial? Do you want something that will dig itself into a hole and never come out -- except for once a month?

Example:

Hi, my name is speedtooth and I currently own a C. cyaneopubecens. It is a gorgeous spider, but it spends all of its time in its web. I rarely ever get to see it. So I don't want somthing that webs alot. Color is something else that I'm really into. I want something that is really colorful. I'm not too worried about aggression, but don't want anything old world. Those are a little bit too much for me right now.

Here are the ones that have particularly caught my eye lately:

A. geniculata
A. versicolor
C. fimbratus

Which one do you think that I should get?

Thanks,

speedtooth

Hi speedtooth, welcome aboard.

A. geniculata - colorful, doesnt' web alot, ime burrows a little as a s'ling/small juvie but stops as large juvie/adult. A truly gorgeous spider. It has a little bit of pizaz! It gets large. I highly recommend this based on your criteria.

A. versicolor - Wow. What taste you have! This is a stunning spider. However it will probably be in a web a whole lot. So unless you are willing to bend on the webbing issue, I don't recommend this to you at this point in time.

C. fimbratus - What can I say? This is by far, one of the most gorgeous spiders known to man (IMO). However, it is an oldworld spider which by the way, will spend most of its time underground. I don't recommend this.

Good luck,

Jon

--------------------------------------

Jon

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You do make alot of sence. Usually when I see a thread asking "what one should I get", I ask what they are looking for.

Knowing if they plan on handling it or not is a big help in deciding which T is best for them.

It would be cool to have people be more descriptive as to what they are looking for in a new T.

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Jon, that makes a lot of sense actually.
Especially if the person is just beginning to keep tarantulas
and they don't list that they are a beginner to the hobby.
The next thing you know you have somebody recommending a Poecilotheria to the guy/girl.

see ya,

Risto

ines68

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, I think this post should be in the forum sticky ones with a name like "looking for a new T?" for the guys that comes for the first time can read it before asking. You can edit it diferent so it sound more like a "asking for a new T checklist"

Ines

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey ya`ll, Sorry about my post =Wich one should i get ? Ya that was me sorry i didn`t give specific details on what i was lookin for boy do i feel dumb right now i think my post is on the second page on this forum

bye,

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cody,
I do not think this thread was specifically targeted at you and by no means should you feel bad. There have been quite a few posts on the same subject of "what to get?".

This is a good point to be addressed but there is no reason to feel "stupid" whatsoever. Simple mistake, now you know.

Take care,
Atrax

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks atrax, I guess i sort of knew that this post wasn`t targeted at me I just wanted to apoligize for my post the other day.Oh , i`m getting a salem next week :D I`m reeding up on them reel hard! They`re so cool!:cool:

Thanks atrax,

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey, I made a simple mistake just chill! I don`t want to start an arguement here...

Bye,
Spider

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The caveat to the otherwise good sense behind BD's post is that the person most likely to be asking the amorphous 'what?' question probably doesn't know their criteria very well.

It's a good idea, but rather idealized considering the general target.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Maybe before you ask a forum what kind of spider you want, you should ask yourself what youre looking for in a spider? Size, colors, speed, arboreal/terrestrial, temperament, new world/old world, rainforest/dry etc.
Then think if you are up to a speed demon such as Pokes, Stromatos, Heteros, Pterinos etc. If you havent kept t´s for a long time the answer might be "no".

/Lelle

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm looking for a multicolored T that moves alot, one I can keep in my car, that requires no care. Preferably, one that is free. What do you recommend? Thanks, Bob

Bob,

I think you're looking for a bobblehead doll, not a T. Check out the free MLB stadium giveaways. I hope this helps. =D

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by spider
Hey, I made a simple mistake just chill! I don`t want to start an arguement here...
Dude! Nobody was talking about you.

Jon

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
The caveat to the otherwise good sense behind BD's post is that the person most likely to be asking the amorphous 'what?' question probably doesn't know their criteria very well.

It's a good idea, but rather idealized considering the general target.
I don't think so. People know what they want.

Imagine going to a dating service and saying:

--I need a girlfriend. What kind of girl should I get?

Imagine going to a pharmacy and saying to the pharmacist:

--I'm sick. What kind of over the counter drugs should I get?

Imaginge going to the track and saying to the bookie:

--I'd like to put $100 on the horse.

People know what they want.

When I first got into tarantulas I really didn't know anything about them. I just wanted one that I could handle, wouldn't dash up my arm really fast to my face, wouldn't bite me, and was cheap. I got G. rosea.

Pretty soon I was bored and started doing a little more research. I wanted something a little bit more colorful, a bit more active, made webs, wouldn't bite me, and was cheap. I got A. avicularia.
I really liked it and got another one. Note, cohabitation wasn't a good idea for me.

Except for the freebies that Swifty has tossed my way, I have always looked at criteria and tried to find a spider that fits that criteria.

It can be done.

Jon