Please explain: Old World vs New World

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with E-Town, if it's called Chile something then it is probably reffering to the country Chile, which is in South America, and South America is part of the New World...therefore it's a New World T

But the real problem here is...does ANYONE read the rules and the begginer's sticky threads anymore!!!!???? :evil: lol

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
chilean flame might refer to Euathlus or possibly even non-Theraphosidae mygalomorphs.
Ah yes, Euathlus. In the back of my mind i thought i might be forgetting something. You're probably right because as a sling you can't tell what color form a G rosea will be so why sell as a chilean fire/flame? Common names, sheesh...

Still NW though.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Love this thread

also, Chilean flame frequently refers to Paraphysa scrofa as well as RCF G. rosea. Why common names suck. Latin rules, English drools.

von_z

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyone who's 3rd grade teacher showed them a globe, and taught them basic world history, should know the difference between the New World and the Old World. Then it's just a matter of looking up where a T is from and putting 2 and 2 together.........

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OW Attitude?

From my experience, I've kept several baboon tarantulas and only one asian (cobalt), and these have all been more friendly in personality than the vast majority of new world species I have kept. Yes, even my cobalt is a calm girl! My baboons that insist on burrowing have no qualms with me digging them out for cage transfers and I've only gotten two threat displays from any of my baboons the entire time I've had them. Whereas, I am almost on a constant basis threat display with many of my new world species. Some of my NWs charge, attack my tongs with biting and striking, etc. And THAT never happens with my baboons. So, where in the world does the stereotype of "nasty OW" tarantula come from? Granted, many do have a more serious bite than NW, but their dispositions seem to be much nicer overall, and they don't make you itch when you do cage maintenance. But, hey, to each his own.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
but their dispositions seem to be much nicer overall, and they don't make you itch when you do cage maintenance.
The general consensus is a disagreement to your opinion. Few NW "threatposes" enough to actually fall on their backs, or slam the ground so hard with their front legs that the cage vibrates.

I'm just going to say they're all individuals.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The general consensus is a disagreement to your opinion. Few NW "threatposes" enough to actually fall on their backs, or slam the ground so hard with their front legs that the cage vibrates.

I'm just going to say they're all individuals.
The only threat poses like this I've ever heard of came from an Acanthoscurria geniculata. I'm not even going to count the numerous OBT accounts I've read here on the boards as every single one I've ever read was provoked. The general concensus operates on stereotype. I know every spider is its own individual, but I have found that if I want to get bitten, sticking my hand in a NW tank is going to get it done more likely than an OW tank. I have searched for the so-called aggressive baboon specimens (just because I like baboons for some reason) and have not once met one that was very defensive. Probably the worst case I ever had with one was having an OBT dash out of its tank while I was trying to pack it for shipping. To me, that's better than having a T fight back with everything they've got...the instance of most NW I have met.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know every spider is its own individual, but I have found that if I want to get bitten, sticking my hand in a NW tank is going to get it done more likely than an OW tank.
There's a vast difference between being mistaken for prey and being attacked for intruding in a tarantulas turf.

But...I'm not saying your experience is "wrong". I'd say my meanest spider (although I really dislike my own use of words) is my P. Cancerides. And all but one of my 8-9 Pterinochilus would discourage me enough not to touch and that is my OBT female.

The most fang happy individual I have is a female P. Irminia. But only after being "provoked" while prodding around in her tube with pincers removing roach parts.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Anyone who's 3rd grade teacher showed them a globe, and taught them basic world history, should know the difference between the New World and the Old World. Then it's just a matter of looking up where a T is from and putting 2 and 2 together.........
I guess people can have OW attitudes too...

Back on topic: my feeling is that many OW'ers (particularly assorted haplo's and OBT's which i've observed at length) are skittish and more likely to flee when initially disturbed. Only when they feel cornered will they get really snarky. When they do it's an instantaneous jeckyl/hyde transformation. Ferocious!

NW'er terrestrials on the other hand will sometimes be defensive right up front be it via hairs or fangs. Sometimes they just walk slowly walk away or hold on with all 8 legs and refuse to be moved. Once cornered however they don't really up the ante the way some OW'ers will.
Who knows why this is? Certainly not me.

Last edited:

harveythefly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Back on topic: my feeling is that many OW'ers (particularly assorted haplo's and OBT's which i've observed at length) are skittish and more likely to flee when initially disturbed. Only when they feel cornered will they get really snarky. When they do it's an instantaneous jeckyl/hyde transformation. Ferocious!
i dunno....my H. minax (RIP:() would come flying out her burrow to attack anything that entered her enclosure...be it a finger or a tong or just a drop of water...my experience is mainly with old world spiders and i can say without a doubt that in broad general terms they tend to be more defensive than the new world spiders i'm starting to get into now (N. chromatus and P. cancerides not withstanding hehe)...although i have some pokies that are quite placid so there are some exceptions to the rule

Harvey

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i dunno....my H. minax (RIP:() would come flying out her burrow to attack anything that entered her enclosure...be it a finger or a tong or just a drop of water...my experience is mainly with old world spiders and i can say without a doubt that in broad general terms they tend to be more defensive than the new world spiders i'm starting to get into now (N. chromatus and P. cancerides not withstanding hehe)...although i have some pokies that are quite placid so there are some exceptions to the rule

Harvey
this definitely sounds like transfer of prey aggression to me

damn, i should be a bug psychologist!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I guess people can have OW attitudes too...

Sorry, I should have kept my opinion to myself. I've got to stay away from the forum when I'm having a bad day.

Yeah, I do that too, lol. I try to make myself read my posts from the perspective of the person i'm stinging before hitting "submit"...

I'm making an effort lately to be nicer to the newwwbs. I was one less than 2 years ago.

AlexRC

Arachnopeon
This is definitely helpful info, thanks guys. I know what the OW and NW are, but couldn't tell what the major differences of the native T's were. My guesses about the differences were right, but I didn't know that OW's didn't have any urticating hairs at all.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
My G. rosea will only take so much until it gets fed up and then... does nothing. I don't mess it with it really but sometimes I like to handle it. I'll gently touch leg after leg as it slowly moves away onto my other hand that is on the other side of him (clever as a wasp I am). Sometimes it decides it doesn't want to move and just condenses itself. I leave it alone after that. After all I am not a bully.

---------- Post added 11-22-2011 at 02:13 AM ----------

Haha, save the bad day arguments for youtube videos.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is definitely helpful info, thanks guys. I know what the OW and NW are, but couldn't tell what the major differences of the native T's were. My guesses about the differences were right, but I didn't know that OW's didn't have any urticating hairs at all.
Several genera of new worlders don't have urticating hairs, either.

Psalmopoeus, Tapinauchenius, and Holothele (incei, sp. "Bumblebee") are the first three that come to mind.

Malestrom

Arachnopeon
wow after reading this I must now consider if a tarantula is in my future at all. Im enticed by all insects and arachnids but with severe asthma and no desire to be bitten or find out if I chose a tempermental T with a bad personality..... it seems too much.
Perhaps ill keep reading and stick with roaches and vinegaroons and such for now.
Some interesting beetles out there too lol!
Thanks for the great thread folks.

Earth Tiger

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow after reading this I must now consider if a tarantula is in my future at all. Im enticed by all insects and arachnids but with severe asthma and no desire to be bitten or find out if I chose a tempermental T with a bad personality..... it seems too much.
Perhaps ill keep reading and stick with roaches and vinegaroons and such for now.
Some interesting beetles out there too lol!
Thanks for the great thread folks.
Get an emperor scorp then. It has no urticating hairs and it even if it changes its docile temperament it is too slow to attack you. Or a Malaysian forest scorp if you think the emperor is too bulking and prefer sleeker docile scorps.