Please do not repeat my mistake

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
I regret very much that you have experienced this difficulty. I favor the explanation that dog flea treatment could be responsible. European emission standards are so stringent. I know that Italy was late in switching to unleaded gasoline and is a frequent offender of EU standards, but still, it is down-wind from you. In the US, it is possible to view municipal water test reports. With some notable exceptions (e.g. Flint, Michigan), water from the tap is usually safer, with better test measurements than even well-known, name-brand bottled water. I think this must also be the case in Belgium. With tap water, and careful hand washings after petting the dog, I think you will succeed in the future. Thanks for the warning, and good luck.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
and it's water, it isn't a bank breaker

and Europe has all kinds of issues with Acid Rain. If you are in Europe it could be Nitrogen Poisoning from the rain water

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
and Europe has all kinds of issues with Acid Rain. If you are in Europe it could be Nitrogen Poisoning from the rain water
That's an interesting comment. You mean nitrite and nitrate? The mechanism of toxicity in humans is that the ionization state of iron bound to hemoglobin is altered causing the condition Methemoglobinemia. Ts don't have hemoglobin, though. They have hemocyanin, also a metalloprotein, but the metal is copper instead of iron. I would imagine Ts to be less sensitive than we are, but can't rule out other mechanisms of toxicity. Nitrites form carcinogenic nitroso radicals when heated. Don't cook nitrite-preserved bacon at high heat!

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Acid Rain can effect calcium levels in soil which is key to inverts. It also tends to release aluminum from soil which again can be unhealthy. Now the question arises "what is the composition of the rain bucket" and "Does acid Rain release anything from the bucket?" It's Nitrogen Oxide interacting with atmospheric OH to produce HN03, which is Nitric acid. (Gas Phase) plus the decreasing pH of the water could be wholly unhealthy as inverts may not be able to handle that. I need to do more research.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Plastic buckets are typically made from cheaper plastics that aren't food-grade and may be leaching chemicals into the water. Between that and the flea treatment, you may never know for certain what the cause was, but I would consider both highly suspect.