Please comment on my versicolor sling enclosure

TheHound

Arachnoknight
I have a 1-2cm c versicolor sling coming tomorrow. My first arboreal and my first sling (previous smallest upon purchase was 5cm).

Based on research I have determined that these slings need moisture but also good cross ventiliation. I have bought a bespoke arboreal sling keeper with side and top ventilation from The Spider Shop, and set it up close to how my research suggests is right. Enclosure contains:

• Coco fibre substrate (with a tiny bit of vermiculite)
  • Sphagnum moss (to preserve moisture)
  • Some whitetails
  • Cork bark for webbing/home making
Does it need anything else - perhaps some fake leaves? If so, should they be on the floor or should I glue them to the sides of the upper ("lid") part of the enclosure (I've seen both suggested)? Or is the bark sufficient?

Attachments

rock

Arachnoknight
Looks good to me. Your avic will probably web up in the top corner so i wouldn't add leaves, this is just a temporary home anyway

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks like a pain to feed though, could be wrong.

I’d add more holes along sides. May be fine without.

Decrease sub by 50%

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
1. Yes, leaves up top.
2. Keep them dry. If you are thinking you need whitetails/springtails, you don't. Springtails require too much moisture. Too much for the T.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Looks good to me. Your avic will probably web up in the top corner so i wouldn't add leaves, this is just a temporary home anyway
Cool, yeah I thought leaves were probably overkill, and as usual I'm probably overthinking, but I know they can be delicate, even with the updated husbandry advice.

Looks like a pain to feed though, could be wrong.

I’d add more holes along sides. May be fine without.

Decrease sub by 50%
There's a little feeding hatch along the top that you can open to feed and water without opening the whole enclosure up.

On the holes - there are four of those slits on either side to achieve cross ventilation. I was in two minds about whether it was sufficient, but have seen people successfully keep them in containers with no side ventilation (albeit with acknowledgement that this was sub-optimal), so assumed it would be OK. Not an urgent improvement then, in your view?

On the substrate - for my education, why would you reduce it by half?

Thank you

TheHound

Arachnoknight
2. Keep them dry. If you are thinking you need whitetails/springtails, you don't. Springtails require too much moisture. Too much for the T.
I thought versi slings need more moisture than juvies or adults? My understanding was that they need moisture, but not excessive, and (importantly) combined with good ventilation. Are you recommending to keep the enclosure dry, then, or have I misunderstood?

Springtails were to avoid having to open the whole thing up too often to clean, in order to avoid disturbing the spider and its webs too much.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I thought versi slings need more moisture than juvies or adults? My understanding was that they need moisture, but not excessive, and (importantly) combined with good ventilation. Are you recommending to keep the enclosure dry, then, or have I misunderstood?

Springtails were to avoid having to open the whole thing up too often to clean, in order to avoid disturbing the spider and its webs too much.
Mine has done fine dry. Just a water dish. It just completed it's third molt in five months and is 1.25".
Springtails are unnecessary as your sling won't be in that enclosure long enough to make a mess. A few meals, a couple of molts, a matter of months and it will need to be rehoused.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool, yeah I thought leaves were probably overkill, and as usual I'm probably overthinking, but I know they can be delicate, even with the updated husbandry advice.

There's a little feeding hatch along the top that you can open to feed and water without opening the whole enclosure up.

On the holes - there are four of those slits on either side to achieve cross ventilation. I was in two minds about whether it was sufficient, but have seen people successfully keep them in containers with no side ventilation (albeit with acknowledgement that this was sub-optimal), so assumed it would be OK. Not an urgent improvement then, in your view?

On the substrate - for my education, why would you reduce it by half?

Thank you
Not urgent for mote holes

Less sub- arboreal!

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Not urgent for mote holes

Less sub- arboreal!
Ah cool. Yeah I know less sub is required generally for arboreals, but I like the height it puts the bark at and I guess was wondering if there were any actively negative potential consequences.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ah cool. Yeah I know less sub is required generally for arboreals, but I like the height it puts the bark at and I guess was wondering if there were any actively negative potential consequences.
Yes there are potentially, you remove top and out goes you’re sling

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
To answer a question with a statement, I have kept my Aviculariinae always on bone dry sub the whole time, but always with water dish at all sizes and with regularly administering water to webbing to drink. Seen mike drink from both, and never stuffy humid air.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the comments all. Having read @viper69 's and @Venom1080 's helpful avic guides and considered the comments in this thread, I've put in drier sub in a smaller amount, attached a couple of leaves near the top of the bark and one bigger one standing on the floor, as well as added a tiny water dish on the ground. It's pretty tough finding something small enough. I tried a plastic Coke lid but it was way too big. The only thing I could find that worked was the top of the test tube my wife uses for her Covid tests (doctor in the NHS). I somehow doubt she will let me use it, unless she has spares! Sure we'll rustle up something though.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Is this enough foliage for my little sling? Or should I add a little more near the top? It's webbed a bit between the bark and the leaves as you might be able to see in the photo, but not loads. Then again I've only had it a week, so not sure if this is a normal amount for that period?

If I should add more leaves, is it safe to use a glue gun while the spider is about - obviously I'd make sure it wasn't near the actual site of attachment (and I'm sure it would make sure itself), but I understand the glue dries very quickly and lacks toxic fumes, so I would hope it would be possible without having to move the spider out of the enclosure, though obviously I won't do anything that would put it in danger.

Attachments

Babyface T

Arachnopeon
I have a 1-2cm c versicolor sling coming tomorrow. My first arboreal and my first sling (previous smallest upon purchase was 5cm).

Based on research I have determined that these slings need moisture but also good cross ventiliation. I have bought a bespoke arboreal sling keeper with side and top ventilation from The Spider Shop, and set it up close to how my research suggests is right. Enclosure contains:

• Coco fibre substrate (with a tiny bit of vermiculite)
  • Sphagnum moss (to preserve moisture)
  • Some whitetails
  • Cork bark for webbing/home making
Does it need anything else - perhaps some fake leaves? If so, should they be on the floor or should I glue them to the sides of the upper ("lid") part of the enclosure (I've seen both suggested)? Or is the bark sufficient?
I like it👌.. Pretty sure the Little one is gonna love that big 'ol chunk of corkbark too👍🏼
Oh, n it seems like theres always something else it needed, or that coulda worked, or that we coulda done! with an enclosure Lol