PLEASE can anyone help me identify this spider?!

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Wolf spider. Can’t tell you exact species though.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That lovely creature appears to be a Mouse Spider (Scotophaeus blackwalli). Compare to this one: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/27278165 or this one:https://www.inaturalist.org/photos/64640599 or this one: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/67808714

@Poonjab - it's not a wolf spider. Take a closer look at those prominent, thick, blunted spinnerets - those indicate that it's one of the Gnaphosidae. Add in the massive chelicerae and the "velvety" appearance and it's most likely a Mouse Spider (see above).

NoFlyZone

Arachnopeon
From south-east London. I caught this little guy this morning. It ran like an olympic sprinter. The video is not very clear, so I'm not counting on a response, but if anyone here is willing to identify it with a best guess, I'll appreciate it.

Ok, just checked back; 7 looks but no takers. Well, I'm going to make this spider a star! He's gonna jump through hoops, spin plates, disappear in a box and reappear on the balcony. All I need is some props and a better camera. And a better spider. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
From south-east London. I caught this little guy this morning. It ran like an olympic sprinter. The video is not very clear, so I'm not counting on a response, but if anyone here is willing to identify it with a best guess, I'll appreciate it.

Ok, just checked back; 7 looks but no takers. Well, I'm going to make this spider a star! He's gonna jump through hoops, spin plates, disappear in a box and reappear on the balcony. All I need is some props and a better camera. And a better spider. :)
I'd say an Agelenopsis of some sort but I'm not sure what species you have in the UK.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer

For next time, you'll get more takers if you post your own request rather than piggy-backing onto someone else's request. This is not a general "spider ID needed thread" - it was just a single request - so most people won't check back after it was answered.

Your spider does not have the long spinnerets of an Agelenopsis sp. as @Albireo Wulfbooper suggested - and Agelenopsis would not be found in the UK, barring an accidental hitchhiker. The Agelenopsis are called American Grass Spiders because they are a North American genus. (According to the World Spider Catalog, Agelenopsis potteri has been introduced in parts Russia, Kirgizstan, and Ukraine, but has not made it to Western Europe. The other Agelenopsis species are all found in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico.)

Your spider is related to the Grass Spider, though. It appears to be another of the Agelenidae - probably a Tegenaria sp. such as the Giant House Spider, Tegenaria duellica, or a close relative.

Last edited:

NoFlyZone

Arachnopeon
Many thanks for the advice Chanda and your opinion on the spider (which seems accurate from the pics and behaviour), and thanks also Mr Wulfbooper! I only piggy-backed because I didn't think it was a serious enough matter for a proper post (it being a wild spider), but I'm encouraged by your reply. The little guy wouldn't jump through any hoops so I let him out on a window frame where he'd have a few options. It's winter here so a bit cold, and I figured he could stay on the building for warmth or climb down. I'm guessing he's a male since he was running around instead of inhabiting a web, so presumably his days are numbered.

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
Many thanks for the advice Chanda and your opinion on the spider (which seems accurate from the pics and behaviour), and thanks also Mr Wulfbooper! I only piggy-backed because I didn't think it was a serious enough matter for a proper post (it being a wild spider), but I'm encouraged by your reply. The little guy wouldn't jump through any hoops so I let him out on a window frame where he'd have a few options. It's winter here so a bit cold, and I figured he could stay on the building for warmth or climb down. I'm guessing he's a male since he was running around instead of inhabiting a web, so presumably his days are numbered.
It's totally fine to make a post for any sort of spider ID request, even if its just a wild spider. :)

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
*cough* Mrs.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I only piggy-backed because I didn't think it was a serious enough matter for a proper post (it being a wild spider), but I'm encouraged by your reply.
While the tarantula forums have specific threads dedicated to ID requests and do not want a bunch of individual "What kind of tarantula is this?" posts, this forum is open to ID requests - and the majority of them are wild spiders that somebody found in their house/yard/garden or while out hiking.