Please advise me on feeding

Gila Spider

Arachnopeon
OK, this is my 1st tarantula.

I bought her a 20gallon aquarium and am trying to make it as nice for her as possible.

My question is regarding leaving crickets and 'roaches in the aquarium with the spider.

Is this OK?

Right now there are about 12 crickets and 4 'roaches living in with her.

Is this the correct way to feed her? Or am I supposed to monitor her eating and put them in as she eats them?

................................. Thanks in advance.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
welcome to the forum Gila Spider.

what size and what species tarantula do you have?
Most Ts except the very largest ones don't need all that space, but it won't hurt, unless you have a small spider. If it's terrestrial, you also need to fill the aquarium with substrate so that there is only room from the top no more than the length of the spider with outstretched legs. A fall of even a few inches can burst the abdomen of a terrestrial T.
As far as the feeders in there, I would not recommend leaving all those in there. THey may stress your spider out, and can certainly harm or eat the spider if it molts while they are in there.
I generally only feed one prey item at a time, and if it's not eaten in approx 24 hours, I take it out, wait a few days, and try again.
Holley

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would say that is overdoing it. That is an awful lot of food. Unless you spider is massive and has a crazy appetite I think you should keep its food in a separate container and add it as he/she eats it. Your tank is also quite large for one spider.