Playing drums harmful to Ts???

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Folks

I have been invited to join a black metal band on drums and am in the process of getting a drumkit in my house since we will use my place for rehearsals for both this band and my main band (where I sing and play guitars, but our drummer lives 250 km away and he will use my kit to pay less for gaz).

I know that Ts are a bit agitated when loud music is played but some people told me that being in the same (small) house than a very fast metal band jamming together would kill them and my reptiles plain and simple. Even practicing alone on drums would be harmful to them... I wonder what you think about such statement.:rolleyes:

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Folks

I have been invited to join a black metal band on drums and am in the process of getting a drumkit in my house since we will use my place for rehearsals for both this band and my main band (where I sing and play guitars, but our drummer lives 250 km away and he will use my kit to pay less for gaz).

I know that Ts are a bit agitated when loud music is played but some people told me that being in the same (small) house than a very fast metal band jamming together would kill them and my reptiles plain and simple. Even practicing alone on drums would be harmful to them... I wonder what you think about such statement.:rolleyes:
Well, my statement is not absolute because I have not seen a long term effect. But I listen to Burzum, Dark Tranquility, Amon Amarth, well you get the point. And I listen rather loud while maintaining my enclosures, and honestly I haven't seen any type of movement that relates to disturbance by the music I listen too. And I use a 7.1 surround system in the room that I keep my T's in because it also doubles as my computer room. But the T's are kept in a rather large walk in closet that is part of the computer room.

But of course recorded music is compressed compared to the live beating of the drum. So there could possibly be a difference now that I think of it.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We will play like 6 times a month. My main band plays faster (up to 275 bpm) and is down tuned to Drop-A so more vibrations, but it's gonna be once in a month. The black metal band is slower and tune standard, actually they play very hi, so almost an octave higher therefore less low frequencies. Most of the time I will practice by myself.
I will put my more reactive animals tanks on my bed and cover them with heavy velvet, but otherwise I don't think anyone gonna go belly up.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
It may stress them out but the answer to your question cant be answered without some sort of research.

I dont doubt there has been experiments with bugs and noise vibrations. I would have no idea where to look though. :eek: I think there is a device you plug in that supposedly drives away bugs with noise. :? IDK if it actually works or not.

heatfreakk3

Arachnopeon
I'm a total newbie so this is just my opinion, but I dont think it would be good for them. I think the vibrations would stress them out. I'm a dart frog guy, and we had a discussion about this not too long ago also. Drums can get quite loud! :)

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Hey Folks

you should just give them "ear plugs" lol :D

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have 200 watt speakers with a sub relatively close to my spiders. I have never noticed any distress. Maybe I should watch them more closely.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I already experimented with loud stereos and I cranked my amp quite a bit. But now we are talking about actual drums that I bang on, with air displacement, and that you can hear from a block away. Also, it involves multiple repeated hits (like 600 kicks a minute, of course using both feet), I assume that if I was playing soft jazz it wouldn't matter. I just wonder if they are any drummers here on AB who have some history about Ts living close to a drumkit.

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had a band for quick second, it was one of those high school rock bands that only last for week.

from what notice even when I played loud music all of my spiders,geckos, snakes etc. would become more active. They would roam their cages. They weren't pacing but more like exploring.

Imbrium

Arachnopeon
When we would play drums in the same room as the spiders most seemed undisturbed, but a few would startle with every hit of the bass (none of the other drums bothered them at all). When they are in a different room there was no response. So I think as long as you don't play right next to them you're probably ok.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tarantulas love drums. They hate tambourine.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Finally, they will have to tolerate only a few pratices at close range, since I am moving in June in a much bigger house where I will be able to soundproof the jamming area.

Thanks for sharing experiences though : )