Playing dead

Aillith

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Being only new to keeping a scorpion, I've had to change the tank set up a couple of times lately as people tell me things to change. Not damp enugh, too wet, ect.

Because I don't really want to get stung, I usually keep my scorp in a take away container while I make the nesesary adjustments to the tank.

I'll usually stick the container in the tank, chase the scorp in and seal it up nice and tight before taking the container and sitting in on my desk.

I've noticed everytime I do this, once the scorp is inside the container, it.. plays dead?

It just curls in on itself, right side up still, but it won't move, and if I tilt the container slightly, it just slides to the otehr end and still won't move.

Do they normally play dead o0?

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, some of them do ply dead or stay still. They instinctively do this to avoid being spotted by a potential predator.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Some scorpions do this, this is called catalepsy or thanathosis. B.jacksoni is known to show this kind of behaviour.

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What type of scorpion is this? I have had a couple vaejovis spp. Do this similar thing to me, though I believe, they were dead. Then by the next day, the little one was alive.