Plastic plant pots for T decorations? Hides

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Cleaned them off to make sure nothing is on them . No sharp edges or anything that I see . Do they need any modifications?? 6AA2BB71-BBF7-43CB-89FD-AC1FB753D613.jpeg 53B7BE44-6AA6-4935-827F-51FFC5B4A6FD.jpeg
Any other ideas for hides??

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Cleaned them off to make sure nothing is on them . No sharp edges or anything that I see . Do they need any modifications??
Those should be safe to use, although you will want to make sure it's mostly filled in so that the tarantula can excavate the amount of space it wants.

Any other ideas for hides??
I mainly use cork bark, because it is lightweight and can be partially buried as a slab or leaned as a hunting platform (for arboreals).

I've used other things before too, like the tops of plumbing boots (the part that gets cut off before installation as flashing around a plumbing stack).

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
Those should be safe to use, although you will want to make sure it's mostly filled in so that the tarantula can excavate the amount of space it wants.
If they were used for a plant originally, is it safe? Just because of how store bought plants were put in fertilized soil and treated with pesticides? Not challenging you, genuinely asking because it took so long for me to find unused pots (end of season and it took awhile to find a place that still had tiny pots in stock) and was afraid to buy succulents or something else with a small pot for that reason, maybe I didn’t have to be.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
If they were used for a plant originally, is it safe? Just because of how store bought plants were put in fertilized soil and treated with pesticides?
If they're thoroughly cleaned and rinsed, I would think so.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
If they're thoroughly cleaned and rinsed, I would think so.
Yeah I used the coarse end of the sponge to get the stuff all completely off them . Yeah I’ll bury the pots and maybe leave a slight opening. Or something.

Stratton

Arachnopeon
Yeah I used the coarse end of the sponge to get the stuff all completely off them . Yeah I’ll bury the pots and maybe leave a slight opening. Or something.
Yes, they should be good to use. If I'm ever concerned about a chemical like a pesticide or some type of fertilizer that may still be on the planter, I give it a good wash and then let it dry and then wash it a second time. Pesticides don't really adhere to plastic very well so washing them will do the job of getting them off and enclosure safe.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've used that, it will work. I prefer cork though. If there were pesticides in them at some point, I'd never use them though. Those chemicals soak into plastic.

JGarrick

Arachnopeon
I've used that, it will work. I prefer cork though. If there were pesticides in them at some point, I'd never use them though. Those chemicals soak into plastic.
Yes, if you are unsure or don't feel safe using them because of pesticides that might be on the pots then just don't use them. Pesticides can and do soak into low-density polyethylene but the plastic pots you had pictured are not those.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

I mainly use cork bark, because it is lightweight and can be partially buried as a slab or leaned as a hunting platform (for arboreals).

I've used other things before too, like the tops of plumbing boots (the part that gets cut off before installation as flashing around a plumbing stack).
Old thread but I didn’t want to make a duplicate, I plan on putting a salmon pink in a 10 gal from a 20 long is this a bad idea ? Or should I find another spider to place in the 20 gal so it doesn’t go to waste ? But the flower pot hide its using might be too big for the 10 gal unless I really shoehorn it in.
it has 2 logs to climb does it need a hide also ? I think I’ll give it one regardless..
I’m filling it half with substrate or more so a fall won’t hurt it.
My largest spider 🕷 is inn a 10gal.
682352DA-8C5B-4D80-8A70-15BD1DB35981.jpeg 67FE94A0-C72C-4A52-A081-D7979DAB049A.jpeg