Plastic Cutting Board as Lid?

ArtisticAardwolf

Arachnosquire
Given as millipedes aren't the strongest beings do you think you could use a plastic cutting board with something heavy on top as the lid? Would it pose any hazards? I'm looking into upgrading my millipedes habitat into something bigger and there aren't really any millipede-friendly covers for tanks. I appreciate any input!

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
Given as millipedes aren't the strongest beings do you think you could use a plastic cutting board with something heavy on top as the lid? Would it pose any hazards? I'm looking into upgrading my millipedes habitat into something bigger and there aren't really any millipede-friendly covers for tanks. I appreciate any input!
It should be fine as long as they still have adequate ventilation.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
It should work fine, but depending on the type of plastic it might start to smell musty. I used an old plastic serving tray for a while and it started to smell like an old sponge.

ArtisticAardwolf

Arachnosquire
Thanks guys! I'm worried about drying them out (I live in Arizona and there is no moisture to be found) Any ideas for a cover that won't prevent all air flow but still not turn their currently humid into a desert?

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
You could use plexiglass with ventilation holes drilled in it. I did this on one of my gecko tanks. If you are worried about humidity dropping quickly, layer bark and leaves on top of the substrate.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
You could drill a few holes in your cutting board or leave a gap along an edge as long as the millipede can't climb up to it.
I always end up using polycarbonate or glass.

I use plexiglass with holes drilled in on some of my tanks, and I use glass on the others, usually 2 sheets so I can leave a small gap in between for ventilation.
If you have an old/broken aquarium or window, a glass cutter isn't all that expensive. I found some glass running pliers that have made cutting it so easy.
But if you're just needing one cover, you can buy a sheet of plexi or glass at a hardware store and they'd cut it for free. I forget which is cheaper, but I was able to cover two 12"x12" tanks with a 12$ sheet.