Plants that can survive with waterlogged roots

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I saw a series of youtube videos that started with setting up a filterless betta tank by using a sweet potato.
There's probably a word for it, but I can't think of a better description than waterlogged roots.

Anyways, I want to try out an aquarium like this, but I'd like to try plants other than a sweet potato.
I know pothos can survive with their roots always being in water, but I'm not sure about any others.
I'll probably experiment a bit.

Do you guys think any plants stand out as potential candidates?
Has anyone had experience with any plants living with their roots always in water?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Carnivorous plants, of course, but they're probably not what you're looking for since they'd be rather inefficient in most cases at sucking up nutrients.

Water hyacinth--very plentiful in the South, and naturally floats. Just don't introduce it outside, and trim the roots occasionally since they can get crazy.

Salvinia--similar. Believe it has less nice flowers, and instead of roots you'll just be trimming the entire plant. Pretty frequently, too--they have a doubling time of 2-10 days in ideal conditions.

I've seen Dracaena do ok in situations like this; probably any of those hardy jungle house plants would work ok, since they often come from seasonally inundated habitats.

Saggitaria could work, though you'd be making it permanently dwarfed. Make sure to get a tropical or subtropical species if you use it. Same goes for a whole host of those tall marsh plants--cattail, bullrush, Spartina, maybe even yellow iris. Make sure they're from relatively eutrophic habitats, not highly acidic, nutrient poor places like bogs.

Willow, but you'd need to bonsai it (which is basically what's going on with that sweet potato anyway). Again, you would want a tropical or subtropical species if such a thing exists.

I'll keep thinking about this. With any wetland plant you know you're ok, but with others it's hit or miss.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
Willow, but you'd need to bonsai it
That sounds pretty cool actually. I'll have to look that up.

I do love Dracaena and the local petco seems to have them on sale all the time.

Thanks for the suggestions!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Water convolvulus, Ipomoea aquatica. Floats on water, edible, growth dependent upon available nitrogen. Staple diet around these parts.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
That sounds pretty cool actually. I'll have to look that up.

I do love Dracaena and the local petco seems to have them on sale all the time.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Once you're going the bonsai root you could also use bald cypress. I don't know how any of these trees respond to having wet feet while bonsaied, though.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a 10gal, unfiltered with only snails in it. I bought a few plants at PetSmart and they've been growing for a few years.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Willow, but you'd need to bonsai it (which is basically what's going on with that sweet potato anyway). Again, you would want a tropical or subtropical species if such a thing exists.
Once you're going the bonsai root you could also use bald cypress. I don't know how any of these trees respond to having wet feet while bonsaied, though.
I know that hydroponic bonsai do exist. The only problem might be fertilizers, as bonsai already require a lot of fertilizer and a hydroponic bonsai seems like it requires even more. You would either have to have a large billiard or use fertilizers that might be harmful to the fish/inverts.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I have a 10gal, unfiltered with only snails in it. I bought a few plants at PetSmart and they've been growing for a few years.
Were they aquatic plants?
I have a 5.5gal with some nerite snails and a sponge filter but a plant would be nice too.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I have a 5.5gal with some nerite snails and a sponge filter but a plant would be nice too.
I used to have something similar. It was a ten gallon with vallisneria, java fern and dwarf hairgrass. I had some phantom shrimp in there with a nerite. It was very nice looking. It does need a constant light source. I prefer to use compact florescent bulbs but you can use LEDs, I just have had experiences with algae using LEDs.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah aquatic plants, they are usually at the end of an aisle close the fish section sold in a tube with high humidity, not full of water. I've seen small tubers there too of some kind of aquatic plant for sale. I don't use a filter and the water is crystal clear and no smell. Somehow freshwater limpets showed up in that tank and those especially keep the algae off the glass. I even bought a Beta about 3 years ago that was kind of weird for me to do, not into those, just an impulse thing, he died this month in that tank. Guess the snails took care of the bod because I see no trace of it.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I do have Aponogeton ulvaceus and yeah it got pretty big and bloomed, it smelled bad to me. Still doing well but died back some after being spent a little which was a good thing. I think I've had it for 3 years.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I love Anubias. I didn't realize they weren't strictly aqautic. Thank you!

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I love Anubias. I didn't realize they weren't strictly aqautic. Thank you!
A lot of plants are like that. I grow Anubias and aquatic ferns in all my dart frog tanks. Any of the bare root plants in the plastic cups, not under water at petco and pets smart would probably fit the bill.

toan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm more of a fish guy than a T guy. Almost all "non-stem" plants sold for aquariums can be grown emerged, and many of the stem plants can also be grown emerged in a bog setup. the list of possible plants is probably in the thousands. and many are interesting and really attractive. the list of aquarium plants that cannot be grown emerged is probably very short: guppy grass, hornwort, algae, and anacharis are the only ones I can think of.

toan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here I have sword plants, L. rugosa, mosaic plant, monte carlo, maybe some others i'm forgetting. 20190820_132306.jpg

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I believe most aquarium plants at the chain pet stores are already grown emersed. Hence why they tend to melt when introduced into an aquarium, alongside the usual rehoming stress and/or being Cryptocoryne.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I took my anubias out of my aquarium and planted it. In a little humid 5gal. But the leaves appear to be wilting.
Is this a normal process?
Would it be safer to just transfer it back into the aquarium?