Plants fit for an emperor!

Noxocubed

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have recently planted a fern in my Emps tank, he has 4'' peat/bark chipping substrate and it seems to be doing ok, he burrowed into its roots and made a hide but it later in the week it fell in after he tried to dig another section into it. Leaving the hole, he now just lays around on the surface, against the glass (half way up it, looking like he's dead and scaring me) or in his water dish!

I would like to add some more plants for him to hide under/destroy any ideas?

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what kind of fern? I've been thinking of putting a spleenwort fern in mine, as they grow well in small cracks in rocks.

Noxocubed

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
On the tag I got with it, it says: 'Nephrolepis exaltata bostoniensis' but I don't know the things common name.

I am thinking of planting a couple of little money plants or maybe a dragon plant as they like humid conditions. :) I have already planted a few tiny money plants (under a centimetre) and about 10-15 'life tree' seeds but they have been dug up and killed! It seems like you need something the scorp can't mess with too much, something hardy and able to take a few nips and a bit of climbing on. I intend to try larger money plants (maybe four centimetres or more) and perhaps another fern of some sort. Dionaea muscipula (venus fly trap) like growing in bottle gardens and would seem suitably prehistoric to live along side and big scorpion so I may have to find one of those!

Another thing that might be cool is growing a little herb garden in the tank!

Last edited:

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've tried some different plants in my emp tanks and ALL of them have been decimated by the scorps. they tear them up, stomp them down or bury them over. if they don't kill the plants the crix will eat them up. :D

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I to have tried verious types of plants, an what Thaedion has said is correct, if the scorp doesnt dcimate them, then the cricets or locust will. It is realy hard to keep a live plant alive in a scorp tank. If you do want plants in yur tank you can get some amazing artificial ones, but even these get torn down and moved by the scorps. But alteast you can pick these up and put them back

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
On the tag I got with it, it says: 'Nephrolepis exaltata bostoniensis' but I don't know the things common name.

I am thinking of planting a couple of little money plants or maybe a dragon plant as they like humid conditions. :) I have already planted a few tiny money plants (under a centimetre) and about 10-15 'life tree' seeds but they have been dug up and killed! It seems like you need something the scorp can't mess with too much, something hardy and able to take a few nips and a bit of climbing on. I intend to try larger money plants (maybe four centimetres or more) and perhaps another fern of some sort. Dionaea muscipula (venus fly trap) like growing in bottle gardens and would seem suitably prehistoric to live along side and big scorpion so I may have to find one of those!

Another thing that might be cool is growing a little herb garden in the tank!

You have a Boston fern. It might work, they are rather durable, but it might grow too large for the tank, depending on the variety.

The Venus flytrap will die if you put it in with a scorpion. They are very picky about how they need to be kept, and you will just be wasting your money.

Try a Selaginella or a few different types of Bromeliads:)

People that keep Dart frogs have amazing planted terrariums and many of those species of plants would do just as well in a scorpion tank. Try researching with that in mind.

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with crono. It's difficult to keep a flytrap alive without the compounded difficulties of sharing space with scorps. I killed mine a few years back, and haven't had the patience to try again. Definitely need some exp with plants to keep flytraps, imo.

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
*whisper* African Violet Mix with purified water *whisper* :p. Cold spell during winter. As for the emps, good luck. i tried everything, the fern was too big. and the air plants were buried or squashed.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When I feel the need to have a live plant in my emp tank, I use a pothos vine. I've never had a scorp kill one, but I have had one take over the tank in a few months.