Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Planting moss

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by Ghost in Souls, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Rhino1

Rhino1 Arachnoknight

I love a decent display vivarium and imo moss can be tricky to get going and maintain, some keepers will use fake moss that is dyed green this can be hot glued straight to foam, driftwood rocks etc and always looks good.
    Live moss needs water, light and airflow in the right amounts- too much water and it will grow fungus/rot, too little light it will die off, airflow is another important aspect, too much and it dries out and too little will result in limited gas exchange. These days there are led lights available for growing plants which generate little heat but have the full spectrum required for healthy growth, I use the plant glo ones made for reptile and fish tanks. A few hours a day is all that is needed, my vivs receive ambient light from a nearby window so I only need to set my timer for an hour a day.
    When planting into peat or Coco fibre it needs to really be pushed in to well packed substrate and water it in well, any gaps underneath and it will dry out rapidly, you will find when trying to grow it on branches that the further you get away from the substrate the harder it is to keep moist, I use a very fine bonsai wire to attach substrate onto branches and wrap moss over the top.
    These tiny little set ups below have limited airflow and I try to open these every few days and gently blow in fresh air.
    IMG_20190325_160719.jpg
    Mildew is a killer for moss and is linked to too much moisture and dead air, tap water has chemicals in it and will kill moss or at least impede the growth. You will need to discuss with keepers in your area of which mosses are suitable, the stuff I use looks and grows a bit like the aquatic Java moss but isn't.
    Blankets of web will kill moss by restricting moisture and air flow, what are suitable conditions for moss may not be suitable for your pets either, it's a matter of finding a happy medium.
    Good luck. Plenty of info online too.

IMG_20181014_221349_DRO-01.jpeg
    IMG_20190325_152239.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.