Plantation Soil moulding?

Rue

Arachnoknight
Has anyone else had problems? I don't have my babies yet...but one of my enclosures has mould growing...not much...but enough I'm concerned for when the spiderlings are shipped.

And the mould is growing right by a couple of airholes...which is also puzzling.

The substrate is also still quite damp (it's been almost 3 weeks since I prepared it). I don't know if that's the issue...that I put it in the 3.5" cubes too damp...or not...

While I've had all kinds of pets/substrates over the years...this is the first time I've dealt with Plantation soil or a potting soil type substrate.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I've noticed it molds quite easily.
It's part of the reason I've switched to peat moss unless I'm dealing with an arid species. It's slightly acidic, making it difficult for mold to take hold (but nit impossible!).

The airhole thing makes sense, it's probably how some spores got to the soil in the first place.

If there are no Ts in there yet, just leave the lid off or something to help dry it out quicker.

Rue

Arachnoknight
Thanks! I'll scrape out the white spots and stir it all up to dry out more.

This summer when we start the gardening, I'll maybe just put some pure peat aside for the T's instead.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sounds like you also went too moist when you mixed up the substrate. It's a common mistake, start out just a little moist then add water as needed based on how the occupant is reacting. It's easier to add water than to remove it.

Edit: also ditto on Hobo's comment regarding peat moss. It really is the way to go for moister species. Cut peat moss with some horticultural vermiculite and a splash or two of natural sand... you're good. Some will tell you coco coir doesn't mold either, don't believe that hype. It can.

Rue

Arachnoknight
Yes...I think it's too moist too. But when you have to soak the stuff in water, it's hard not too get it too moist...lol. I did 'wring' it out as I pulled it from the bucket...:D

I should have dried it on a pan after I soaked it...

Honestly...for the handful I need...it's too much work. Think I'll mix my own like you guys are suggesting. Thank you!