Plant suggestions for P. rufilata Enclosure

lindale450

Arachnopeon
So I have a 18x18x24” exoterra that I want to set up as a showpiece in my living room to eventually house one of my P. rufilata. I am most likely doing a custom foam background on one to possibly three sides of the enclosure and would like to have some hanging type plants to inset into the background as well as some plants for the floor of the enclosure. I am not a big plant person, I do grow pepper plants and have a small collection of house plants but most are from Walmart and I couldn’t tell what they are called. Some ideas from those of you who would know what might do well in this space requirement, be fairly hardy and stand up to a large spider would be much appreciated

kadupul

Arachnosquire
I grow some different types of Rhipsalis on the back of my jumping spider's tank and they seem to do well.
20230119_170656.jpg

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Pothos is the gold standard for ease of care and hardiness. Plus, there are a few diffeenr species and cultivars to choose from. I have quite a few varieties that I'm growing out for bioactive enclosures, among other projects.

More Pothos Options

lindale450

Arachnopeon
Pothos is the gold standard for ease of care and hardiness. Plus, there are a few diffeenr species and cultivars to choose from. I have quite a few varieties that I'm growing out for bioactive enclosures, among other projects.

More Pothos Options
I do have a pothos plant.. And I have thought about that. I also have another plant that i’m thinking of trying for the ground plant because it’s been growing very well for me and the cats run though it pretty often when they’re fighting or playing so it seems fairly resilient….I have no idea what it is though lol and I don’t know if it’s something I would be able to prune back to fit in a 18x18x24 without taking over as the plant is a decent size. And if you can help me with my sickly looking carnivorous plants in the back ground that would be appreciated lol 91DDD9B5-F47C-4735-AFCA-A1F0359E0486.jpeg

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I do have a pothos plant.. And I have thought about that. I also have another plant that i’m thinking of trying for the ground plant because it’s been growing very well for me and the cats run though it pretty often when they’re fighting or playing so it seems fairly resilient….I have no idea what it is though lol and I don’t know if it’s something I would be able to prune back to fit in a 18x18x24 without taking over as the plant is a decent size. And if you can help me with my sickly looking carnivorous plants in the back ground that would be appreciated lol View attachment 437217
Honestly, I didn't have success with Nepenthes sp until I started using a greenhouse. They're quite sensitive to humidity levels IME. If you're able to grow succulents and cacti in the same location as the Nepenthes pitcher plant, then just the water basin won't be enough IMO. You'll have to look at some type of dome over them to keep the humidity up there.

As far as the plant in the foreground of the picture, I don't think I can help ID it. I'm a horticulture neophyte at best. The only reason I know about Nepenthes and pothos is because I grow Nepenthes and pothos lol.

kadupul

Arachnosquire
The foreground plant is a Monstera deliciosa, if given more light it'll develop fenestration (leaf holes). I'm terrible with carnivorous plants but I did keep a flytrap for a couple of years. In the beginning I gave it dried fish flakes and that seemed to rot the traps so I started to add water to the flakes and they were fine after that.

lindale450

Arachnopeon
The foreground plant is a Monstera deliciosa, if given more light it'll develop fenestration (leaf holes). I'm terrible with carnivorous plants but I did keep a flytrap for a couple of years. In the beginning I gave it dried fish flakes and that seemed to rot the traps so I started to add water to the flakes and they were fine after that.
It definitely seems to like the light, I’ve been giving it about 8.5 hours a day, should I be giving it more than that? I’m going to have to invest in some more grow lights I think 🤔

kadupul

Arachnosquire
It definitely seems to like the light, I’ve been giving it about 8.5 hours a day, should I be giving it more than that? I’m going to have to invest in some more grow lights I think 🤔
If you have a window that faces south that'd be great for it.

lindale450

Arachnopeon
I unfortunately do not, looking to have one put in come spring. Our days get pretty short through the winter so I think the light might still be necessary even with a south facing window

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
The issue you’re going to run into with many plants is their light requirement. Especially for a photosensitive T like P rufilata. You will never really see your spider if the enclosure is set up to maintine live plants.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
You can use many of the commonly available tropical vining plants for hanging plants such as Epipremnum spp., Philodendron spp., Scindapsus spp., Hoya spp., Tradescantia spp., Pellionia spp., Ficus pumila, etc. There's many to choose from and differences may depend on how large your enclosure is, how you plant it, and how much moisture there is available.

For ground plants things like the ferns Nephrolepis cordifolia “Duffi”, N. exaltata "Fluffy Ruffles, Adiantum raddianum, and Davallia spp. are most commonly used ferns it seems. Then you have other foliage plants such as Syngonium spp., Fittonia spp., and some Hemigraphis spp. do well too, for background fillers and foliage plants.

Hopefully this helps you!

One of these days I will get around to posting my master list of vivarium plants ive tried over the years that can work well, I just need to update it again to include some of the new things I have tried and I am about to try.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
The issue you’re going to run into with many plants is their light requirement. Especially for a photosensitive T like P rufilata. You will never really see your spider if the enclosure is set up to maintine live plants.
I retract this statement. Mine eyes have seen the light.