Plant question

Wheezy

Arachnopeon
I would like a few different opinions on the matter before going through with buying a live plant for my T enclosures! Do you prefer silk/fake plants, or live plants in with your Tarantulas? If so, what are a couple of your favorites? As for live plants, what are a few good ones that don't grow too fast, and requires little light, and or water? I'm just curious, if I were to use a live plant, it'd most likely be in my pokies/avic enclosures, where they'll get a little more water than in with my terrestrials. But again, just give me your opinions:D
I tried running a search for good live plants used in T enclosures, but came up empty handed really, so i'm sorry if there's already a thread on this subject.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Silk would be easier, but if you want to try live, i'd probably got for pothos/philodendron. Can easily find them at Walmart, Lowes, etc. It's a low light plant.

Last edited:

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I currently have one silk plant in my a. versicolor enclosure but I am slowly changing that and that artifitial log with real things, I allready planted moss from the wood and some Ivy. They both do extremely well in poor lightning and they both use all the moisture from the peat to grow. What you need to look in the plants is that it suits your spider setup. If you have tropical forest/normal forest type this example would do pretty good. For more scrub/desert species is nice to put some of that yellow grass etc. Also you need to know that you have to look for plants that grow in poor light. From what I saw, Rob uses Pothos plants wich they do well.
Here is example of my A. versicolor enclosure:

Wheezy

Arachnopeon
I'm thinking along the lines of live plants either pothos, or more native to my pokies habitat, some Alocasia macrorrhiza, Aspidistra elatior, or Hosta plants. They get big, but I have no problem trimming them down. Possibly even some S. trifasciata laurentii (Mother in laws Tongue), but I'm not too sure. I may try these, or just go with the silk plants, but i'd like to give live plants a shot. If you have any suggestions, please let them be known.

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am a big plant geek, i prefer orchids, but it doesnt stop there. there are tons of plants that could potentialy work. low light plants being the key. other environmental factors will dictate what plants can or cannot be kept. ventilation, watering, size, soil composition, and drainage are also considerations. most of this will be determined by the animal inhabitant. you really can't beat pothos in a terrarium/vivarium. it's pretty close to bulletproof. low light, adapts to varying humidity, can be trimmed easily, and it's size in general is esthetically pleasing in almost any sized vivarium. it comes in several varieties, and it's cheap. until you get the hang of plants in a terrarium you won't feel as bad killing a $2 pothos as you will a $50 orchid. pothos aside there are many other options, a good place to start researching would be googling for houseplant and tropical plant forums. good luck.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I actually put some potho's in some of that brick substrate , and it was a PAIN to keep alive . I watered it daily , and kept it in some good sunlight , and yet , it didnt grow at all , or stay alive . Its dead right now pretty much , so I am going to switch to fake plants . I like Motorkar's fake plants . I need something like that . I will get something like that this week :D

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I actually put some potho's in some of that brick substrate , and it was a PAIN to keep alive . I watered it daily , and kept it in some good sunlight , and yet , it didnt grow at all , or stay alive . Its dead right now pretty much , so I am going to switch to fake plants . I like Motorkar's fake plants . I need something like that . I will get something like that this week :D
thats because too much water can cause root rot which will eventually kill the plant. too much light can also stunt pothos. but too much water is asking for root rot in a substrate that compacts so well.

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
bamboo

I know most people are talking about pathos. But I have some bamboo in my avic setup and it looks pretty awesome and is virtually bullet proof. It likes moist soil and I need humidity. I have yet to find a downfall with it. It is real easy to trim and just keeps growing. My tank is on my desk at work, so you know there is little light. In fact the lights are on motion sensors, so they are only on a few hours a day and no more. Not evenon during the weekends.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know most people are talking about pathos. But I have some bamboo in my avic setup and it looks pretty awesome and is virtually bullet proof. It likes moist soil and I need humidity. I have yet to find a downfall with it. It is real easy to trim and just keeps growing. My tank is on my desk at work, so you know there is little light. In fact the lights are on motion sensors, so they are only on a few hours a day and no more. Not evenon during the weekends.
I have always wanted bamboo in my enclosures . They look so good . But are they hard to watch after , or easy ?

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have only used silk plants in my set ups so far but I saw a cool looking "money tree" that I thought abbout picking up to use for some avics. I have to find the scientific name and see what I can find out about it before I try anything but it looks fun. "moeny tree" was the name listed at the store.

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't hasitate telling us its scientific name so we can look for it in the local seed store. :)

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
Bamboo is super easy. I do nothing but cut some leaves every few months. Nothing more. I am setting up another tank now and will do the same. It really gives a good tropical feel to the enclosure and a vertical look.

Wheezy

Arachnopeon
Now I heard somewhere that some bamboo is bad for your T's, which kind do you use? Or is safe?

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
I had the same question earlier, after I started using it of course. someone made note that it might not be the best idea to use bamboo from those "good Luck things" because of insecticide. That what I used before that thread and my T is still fine. Not at all what i would suggest. I have since found Bamboo that grows in my dads backyard. I know for sure he doesnt spray for bugs. I would never suggest using the "good luck stuff" I think I just got lucky.

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lucky bamboo isn't actually bamboo at all. it's a dragon cane/dumb cane in the genus Dracaena. eventually they grow into trees. they're also usually doused in all sorts of pesticides. real bamboo are large grasses, a few stay pretty tiny (12 to 18 inches in height) most grow quite large, 6 to 30 feet for the smaller and mid sized species/hybrids/cultivars, and upto, and possibly over, 80 feet for the larger species. bamboo's are all fast growing plants, some hold records as the fastest growing terrestrial plants. bamboo is also strong, i've seen it crack, break, and grow through concrete. I've also seen it push large slabs of concrete several inches out of their sitting. real bamboo is also generally speaking a medium to high light group of plants. personally, unless its cut, dried, and cured, I'd leave most real bamboos out of your cages. there are a few smaller plants called bamboo, Nandina sp. are refered to as heavenly bamboo or sacred bamboo, but are not actually bamboo. with some trimming it might work in a terrarium/vivarium. but in all honesty there are so many other options for true low light plants that don't grow so fast, or large.

Wheezy

Arachnopeon
I've also heard philodendrons are poisonous, could they harm your T? I think it's only poisonous if eaten, and I doubt any T would eat it, but i'm not really sure, just did a quick search and talked to my parents about it

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I doubt the tarantula would eat it. but crickets or roaches can, and then in turn pass it on. if you tong feed theres nothing to worry about, otherwise just make sure the spider eats fast enough that theres no opportunity for the prey to eat the plant. in all honesty i wouldn't worry too much about it. it's been a common vivarium plant for decades. if you notice its being eaten just take it out.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Search for threads with plants in the title.

Here and here are just a couple that I have posted in already.