planning to acquire a Lasiodora parahybana sling

felmor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi guys, I'm new to inverts and planning to acquire a L. Parahybana.. I want to know if this kind of Tarantula is good for a newbie in the hobby.

Love at first sight :)

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LP's are good in many ways. They eat a lot, grow fast, and as adults they don't tend to hide. Very bold. All those are good traits in general and excellent for people new to the hobby.

However, they aren't as docile as many starter tarantulas. Until they are adults they are rather fast moving and skittish and when they are adults they are BIG. And they can flick a lot of itchy hair. So they aren't that good for handling.

So if you aren't planning on handling them and you have enough space for a big tarantula, they are great!

I also like that as slings they are pretty cheap.

felmor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think i'll get a chaco or albo. since i'm planning to play with it.. hehe, thanks for the reply sir..:)

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I want an LP really bad! I can't wait to have the whole sling experience and watch it grow up! And I wanted somthing big but not with all the needs of a T. blondi, perfect fit! Oh and just a warning, I know ALL tarantulas have different personalities but my curly hair is a pet hole, I can always see it because it's burrow is on the glass. So if you get an albo and it's like mine you may not see it out in the open. I used to have a G. pulchripes sling though, and boy he was great (I recommend them! but their slow growers I heared).

felmor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I can always wait them grow.. :D

22.5 US $ is a cheap or too expensive for a baby chaco?

hehehe, thanks :)

Last edited:

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

How big is the sling?
But, speaking generally, that's probably a good price. Not great, but definitely not a rip off.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Depends on the size of the sling and the price of the shipping. That seems like retail price...that is, the price you get from sellers who have permanent websites. They are generally more expensive then random ads in the for sale section and lots of sellers at swaps. That's the price you pay for availability.

felmor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
more or less 1 inch sir? it is sold at the a local petshop here.. hehe

anyway, is albo as doctile as chaco? :) my friend offers me a albo .5-.75" legspan for 15$ US. what you think? hehee

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

anyway, is albo as doctile as chaco? :) my friend offers me a albo .5-.75" legspan for 15$ US. what you think? hehee
Ok. Good price for the chaco, especially given there's no shipping.
Albo and chaco have about the same temperment for docility.
I advise the chaco--it is 7$ more, BUT it is easier to feed a 1" sling than a 1/2" or 3/4" sling IME.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

get the albo because they are more bulkier and fat and more fuzzy than the chaco

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The albo and chaco are the most docile spiders I've seen. Based on my experience, the albo may have a bit of an edge in the sense that it never seems to spook. It can almost get annoying in the sense that just holds still...it doesn't even move when you are gently trying to coax it into moving with a paintbrush or your hand or whatever.

Also, climbing up the wall in the corner is a habit that some tarantulas get and I personally find it annoying. In that respect the albo is better.

However, I think the chaco is a bit more interesting looking.

I wouldn't let price make a determination. These spiders live a LONG time, so the extra few dollars on a per year basis is really very little. If you have a preference for one, I'd got with that.

Any way you go you are going to learn some patience. These spiders take a long time to grow up.

felmor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks for the input.. I think I'm getting the albo first and chaco at december if there are still available.. Why albo? since i'm trying to save for a scorp. hehe, thanks.. Gonna post a pic as soon as I have the albo. :)

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Newbie T

The Albo's and Chaco's are a great "larger" starter T. If you want something that will grow large, like an LP (only not quite AS large), they are a better choice. They are not as skittish or as fast as an LP. The LP's aren't likely to bite, but are more likely then the Albo's or Chaco's. They ARE however, MUCH more likely to bolt! Right off your hand. So handling is not good. A possibly third choice, just as large and equally good IMO is G Pulchra.