Planet Judaicus

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Special thanks to Sharon...

You're looking at a 65 gal. tank, housing 21 adult/juv. h. judaicus. the substrate was moist when i got it. should dry out in a few days. as you can see they were all quite hungry after their long trip and are busy munching on lateralis. i think i need another piece of driftwood for the back-right corner...

cheers! :D
- munis

Last edited:

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow very nice... looks like they have a great home.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nice species and Tank, i also breed them and have a brood till some days ;)

but you had to change your ground, when it is wet, as we can see at the pix, the scorpions will die soon, very soon. they are very sensitve about humidity!!!

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmmm, that wouldn't have been my choice of substrates....Looks much to plastic/fake/false...

Whats wrong with mixing sand and dry earth together....and instead of placing furniture on a flat surface push the peices of wood/stone down into the substrate so that you end up with a more natural setup.

Yes it does look very damp on the picture but this could be because you've used black sand (nebo's are dark too so wouldn't a lighter substrate have been preferable) however if it is as damp as it looks then i think waiting a couple of days for it to dry might be a mistake....Better to remove the scorpions and change the substrate asap.

I've also got a bit of a middle east section in my arachnoroom thanks to Sharon.
I was told that these were desert scorpions but that they were collected from around Jerusalem which isn't totally desert so they should have a slight misting once a month or better still slightly water one corner of the terrarium once a month.......

Lastly, i also have heard that they die very easily if kept to damp!!!

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hei theyr r to be kept as desert ste ups my friend remove them now!

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hmmm... they're all feeding and look pretty happy to me.. i have a heat lamp coming from above, and only a screen lid, so very good ventilation, and it should start drying soon. if they're sitting on top of a rock or piece of wood, humidity shouldn't be *too* high.
do you *REALLY* think i should pull them all out until the substrate dries?
(that would be *REALLY* difficult) :?

thanks! :D
- munis

P.S. i've also asked sharon about this, waiting to hear back...

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmmm... they're all feeding and look pretty happy to me.. i have a heat lamp coming from above, and only a screen lid, so very good ventilation, and it should start drying soon. if they're sitting on top of a rock or piece of wood, humidity shouldn't be *too* high.

- munis

There's this thing that you can get in dollar store. It's a little plastic container that collects humid. what's with red pebbles? False bottom set-up?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

- munis

Hey Munis,

They are a desert species, so they should be kept dry. You will probaly have to remove most of them and just add sand along with the earth. I would personally only do it with 10 or less in there, and that's still being very careful...... use cardboard or plexi to keep em on one side. ;)

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i had another idea... a hair-dryer on low power for 10 - 15 minutes,
aimed at one side of the terrarium so that they can run away if it gets too hot.
yes? no? maybe? :?

- munis

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
aimed at one side of the terrarium so that they can run away if it gets too hot.

- munis
Go to dollar store and get a "damp Trap" :D. It will clear out that moist in 2-3 days ;P

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

- munis
Hey Munis,

That will probaly draw an %80 chance of cracking that wonderful tank... I wouldn't if I were you ;)...

Thiscordia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would use that big piece of slate to cover the cave looking piece of bark because H. judicus like to hang upside down in dark places,I have 12 adults and only keep a small portion of the tank humid; and a water dish.. the rest its dry mix of sand and fiber. I'll try to take pics tonight.

-.Raul

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ok, so the 50 Watt red heating bulb was only bringing temperature directly underneath it to 26*C, and humidity 60%.
i tried a 150 W bulb, which directly underneath it is 43*C, 7% humidity. the center of the bulb is a quarter of the way from the right side. directly at the center, its 28*C, 40% humidity, and in the back left corner, its 22*C, 70% humidity. Currently, only b. lateralis are hanging out in the hottest area, the h. judaicus are hanging out at least 6 inches away...
anyways, my point is, i think if it go pick up a 100W bulb tomorrow, which will be somewhere between too little heating and too much, it should all be good!
i.e. there will be a significant region that is under 50% humidity and not *too* hot.

- munis

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What i think is strange Mushito is that regardless that the majority have advised you to remove your scorpions and change/dry out the substrate you seem reluctant to do it, rather opting for the old "hairdryers and heat bulbs" to sort your nebo problems out........

Another puzzling thing is about 3 weeks ago i started a post asking for any info on nebo's and scorpio's after i too had ordered from Sharon. I was most interested in hearing if anyone had any experience with keeping these scorpions together.

I think the most profound bit of info i got was "i've heard they need to be kept dry".

I have 12 adults and only keep a small portion of the tank humid
/Raul
Do you keep your 12 together and are they adults. If yes how long have you kept them this way?

/Bryan

AKRABUT

Arachnopeon
Sand/earth-what Suitable?

HELLO,

WRITING IN BIG LETTERS BECAUSE THE SWITCH ON THE KEYBOARD IS BROKEN.

SOME PEOPLE SUGGEST TO KEEP HOTTENTOTTA JUDAICUS ON SAND WHICH IS A LETHAL ADVICE. HOTTENTOTTA JUDAICUS IS DEFINETLY NOT A DESERT SCORPION. I HAVE TRAVELED AND LIVED IN THE MIDDLE EAST FOR MANY YEARS AND COLLECTED MANY HOTTENTOTTA JUDAICUS AND I NEVER EVER FOUND ANY HOTTENTOTTA JUDAIUCS IN THE DESERT. HOWEVER I WOULD AGREE THAT THE EARTH ON THE PHOTO THAT MUNIS PROVIDED LOOKS A LITTLE BIT TO WET, A MIX OF 40 PERCENT SAND TO 60 PERCENT EARTH AND LETTING THE HUMIDTY FADE WOULD PROVIDE A SIMMILLAR CONDITION AS THEY ARE FOUND IN NATURE. I WILL POST IN A COUPLE OF DAYS A PICTURE OF THE HABITAT SO YOU HAVE THE PROVE HOW TERRIBLY WRONG IT WOULD BE TO KEEP THEM ON SAND. SO TO SHORTEN THINGS,,, MUNIS WASN'T THT WRONG TO KEEP THEM THAT WAY WHICH ARE SIMMILAR TO THE ORIGINAL HABITAT CONDITIONS.

THANKS

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Rigelus, i'm not sure where the confusion arose from, but i have neither nebos nor scorpios in this set-up! only hottentotta judaicus.

Sharon, thanks for the info!

- munis

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Crikey..!!!, the answer to that is so lllllllloooonnnnggggg, and embarrassing that i think i'd better give it a miss..:8o

AKRABUT

Arachnopeon
Hottentotta judaicus habitat

Hello again,

as promissed I am posting here a photo of a typical Hottentotta judaicus habitat. The photo was tooken in the winter (which is rain time therefore it was very green), the location is around Jerusalem.

Unfortunetly just the "high grass" is visible however please note that between the grass are lots of rocks and the ground is much more dry then it appears to be although it's earth and not sand.
I collected 6 different species of scorpions in the area visible on the picture, one of the species was Hottentotta judaicus.

I add another photo of the Negev Desert in Israel's South, the area that I pictured was full of Leiurus quinquestriatus hebraeus, Nebo hierichonticus, Scorpio maurus palmatus, Buthus occitanus, Orthochirus sp.
Hope you can understand now why I am striking when I hear that Hottentotta judaicus is a desert species.

Thanks for your time,
Sharon

Attachments

Last edited:

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello AKR,

I think you were confused by everyones terminology. Mostly, the term desert is said in refference to creating an enviroment with a healthly mix of peat and sand, and a realtivly low humidity, usually 40% or under.. As you know there arent a large amount of species which need to be kept bone dry on straight sand, and many of those aren't available commonly. Either way, the species shouldn't be that wet, especially now, when there is little rainfall in Jerusalem.

Obviously the collectors input is the most valuable, but I belive you over reacted a bit, because all of the previous comments were not far off....

By the way munis, as another note, I wouldn't keep the species very hot, I'd say the average over there is only about 73-78 F.