Planet Judaicus

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
thanks again sharon!

EAD063, why do you think the temperatures should be so low?
i currently have a gradient across the tank from 75*F - 88*F (24*C - 31*C),
the majority of the scorpions are hanging out in areas that are around 85*F...
granted they may be simply doing this because it is drier... the humidity in the tank currently ranges from 50% to 75%... a little high, but i think its safe, and it is declining fairly steadily.
at night-time, i allow the temperature of the whole tank to drop to around 75*F...

thanks
- munis

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hm.. so highs in jerusalem june - sept. average around 82*F - 84*F (28*C-29*C) it seems.. the solution is fairly simple, i will take out the 100W heat lamp and put in a 75W instead, and i'm pretty sure that will ensure the proper temperatures! then maybe in the fall, i'll drop down to 50W, for two months, and then in the winter, no heat bulb at all...

cheers! :D
- munis

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks again sharon!

EAD063, why do you think the temperatures should be so low?
i currently have a gradient across the tank from 75*F - 88*F (24*C - 31*C),
the majority of the scorpions are hanging out in areas that are around 85*F...
granted they may be simply doing this because it is drier... the humidity in the tank currently ranges from 50% to 75%... a little high, but i think its safe, and it is declining fairly steadily.
at night-time, i allow the temperature of the whole tank to drop to around 75*F...

thanks
- munis
As said in the other post, the average temperature there isn't very high.

As sharon said, the winter periods are normally the "wet season" so to speak, with a temperature averaging a little under 50 degrees F. The summer months, in which late summer is the warmest, is a very dry season, but averages around only around the late 70's F. According to Sharon they aren't found very close to the desert, which would be the warmest area (southern isreal/jordan valley), there the temperature is warmer on many occasions.

As we know, high temperatures are bad for insects and I'd just say it as a precaution having such a large amount of an interesting species without useing more than one setup, in which case you would be able to experiment better rather than say all of your I3 dieing in molt to I4. (Not saying they are going to of course, but one setup increases the chance of conditional mortality throughout a population.)

So yes, the big message is just a word of precaution. Given the mediteranean climate, which we're definently not familiar with, it's always good to keep a close eye. I probaly wouldn't go over where your at now, but I would with other species.. ya know? ;)