Places to keep Ts ?

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This may sound kinda weird . I have Sooo many tanks set up in various places ( Dart Frogs , Scorpions ). My new Versi is in a deli cup and my Rose I keep in a 2 Gal plastic Shoe box type enclosure. My Rose is only like 2" , what Im getting at is what is the average size space a T needs to survive WELL ? Im really looking at getting a Pink Zebra , a Green Bottle Blue and perhaps another of the Aviculara Species. Maybe even a Cobalt later down the road. The problem with the plastic containers is that theyre 3-4" deep MAX and aprox 10x18 " . Will any of the Ts Ive mentioned need more space ? Do I risk on of em jumping out if the lids were opened? My Rose just sits there when I take the lid off ... Thanks FRoST

Attachments

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We have our Rose haires in a 10 gallon tanks so I would probably either 10 to 20 Gal. your choice.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep the majority of my adult tarantulas in large size kritter keepers, they seem to thrive and have been kept this way for years. I have many of them stacked and they take up less space that way (I have around 100 inverts). I do have several t's set up in ten gallon enclosures and even a red phase g. rosea in a 20 long.
Ed

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
For right now, I think your 2" rosie is ok in it's current container, but when it gets to be 3-4", I would move it to a larger container. As for other species, make sure if you get an Avic. or another type of arboreal to not put them in a shallow container. Arboreals need more height than floor space. Depending on the size of the T, large critter keepers work well for both terestrial and arboreals. If you really want to set them up for the long haul, get them a 10 gallon tank or so.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i go by what i read is the standard method, 3X the t's length is a good sized enclosure. not too big, not too small.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, there's alot to be said for the school of thinking that says that "less is more" in the T-world.

T's in too large of a container could possibly be nervous and skittish, since they do like to feel comfortable in their small surroundings ... In other words, if you have a 4" T in one of the Large Kritter Keepers -- its knows that all the space is its own, and it feels comfortable. The larger the tank, the more nervous the T could possibly be, this school of thought says.

I, also, had a red phase rosea in about a 20 gallon tank. any time it left its burrow, it webbed like crazy in order to find its way back (some insight from the 'professionals' :) ), and it was acting a bit odd, untill i changed it just to a 10 gallon, and then it started eating more and actively burrowing again. Who knows whats really going on, but now that it's eating again, i'm happy.

Who can say. Since there is the opposite school of thought: the one that says "who gives a damn about 'less is more'". They stipulate that a T will eventually get used to its surroundings.

I think most people on this list tend to stick with a 'less is more' approach, unless building a breeding tank/hotel or building a fishing area for your H.gigas. In most pics on this list, i see the generally same size containers. I've RARELY seen anything bigger than a 20 gallon, and I remember one kid who had this HUGE setup for his rose-hair (first T for the guy) and i think the general response to his furtive post on this forum was "get a smaller tank"

Its up to you, although i noticed when my red phase was in the big tank, it would always stay near its burrow (never in it), and i noticed web all along the sides of the walls, but the far walls had only a hint of webbing, and i know she never went over there. Maybe it was too far for her lazy butt. Maybe she just didnt web. Maybe that was her get-down spot....Who really knows?

Just giving you the basic run-down of both sides. The shultzes do it more eloquently - what can i say? :)

btw-- i, too, follow the less-is-more approach. its up to you though!

good luck!
peace,
dave

Last edited: