Placement of heating pad...

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I just bought a heat pad for my B. smithi who's coming in on Friday and I can't decide where to put the heat pad in the 10-gallon terrarium I have. Everywhere seems like it's too close to either the shelter or the water dish or blocking the display area. I've already carefully levelled out the peat moss to fit with the shelter, water dish, and plant, and I like how it's arranged, so I want to keep it like it is. But where do I put the heat pad? Here's a drawing of the tank and of where I think the heat pad could probably go:

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The corner you have it one looks fine. Your T can still get away from it in the shelter. This is going in your cold closet right?

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Cold room. x_x It's usually in the mid- to upper-60s in here in the winter, and my T isn't quite full-grown yet, so she needs more heat to grow faster. If I remember correctly, I think the heat pad I bought (Exo Terra Heat Wave - Desert Small) is set at about 75F.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cold room. x_x It's usually in the mid- to upper-60s in here in the winter, and my T isn't quite full-grown yet, so she needs more heat to grow faster. If I remember correctly, I think the heat pad I bought (Exo Terra Heat Wave - Desert Small) is set at about 75F.
I really like how your getting everything knocked out before the T gets to you. That back, right corner will be perfect. I'll bet you'll open the closet door and see her huddled against that side of the glass a few times.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Haha I might have mild OCD. Or extreme perfectionism. xD Thanks for answering my question, I'll put the pad on now and test the temperature throughout the tank. ^^

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hello

I think putting it in the tank may cause the tarantula to climb on the heatpad, not if good if it gets to hot! So I have modified your diagram (I was bored :)) To show you where I think it will fit better. I put my heat pads on the outside of the tanks and always find the tarantula on the glass on the side of the tank. The glass/plastic will warm up enough to keep the tarantula warm if it does get to cold. It may also save the tarantula from accidental burns

Attachments

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Haha I already knew that. I just put it there to show where it was. I should be more careful, huh? ;)

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Doh yeah, I was thinking right when I finished editing it. "man he most likely already knows." But I was finished drawing and well safer to be sorry :). So how big is the B. smithi? I have one adult size and they are just wonderful spiders.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Yep, can't be too careful. :) She's about 3" with a 2.5" legspan; juvenile female. Got lucky with the find, but she cost a bit more, about 100 buckaroos plus shipping. xD

Just tested the heat pad out. It works just fine, heats up well, and not too hot. Perfect. :D My little smithi will be so spoiled. {D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I love how you Pm me questions and get great answers, then post on here the same question..... :? :?
And get the same answer, almost as if you were not to sure if I was pulling your leg or not.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I love how you Pm me questions and get great answers, then post on here the same question..... :? :?
And get the same answer, almost as if you were not to sure if I was pulling your leg or not.
I never asked you about placement of the heating in relation to the shelter and water dish. All you said was to put it in a top corner half-covering the substrate... Sorry. Maybe I'm freaking out too much about this spider. :eek:

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
looks good to me. you say its a 10 gal.? that should be perfect...my guess is the heat pad will come under the water dish a little bit too...and that will raise the relative humidity in the tank as well....2 birds with one stone! way to go!:D