pinning

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
does anyone know if it is easy to pin a T? i know how to pin insects but i don't know how to pin a T.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a friend who's an expert T pinner...he's got jam I tell you.Doesn't matter what size of T he'll pin it and pick it up.First off you have to have a little co-operation from the T itself.You've pretty much have to have it laying flat/outstretched.From watching my friend he then quickly pins the T with his index finger on the T's carapace(quick and gently as not to squash the T).Once firmly pinned he uses his thumb and middle finger to grasp the T by the carapace from in between the legs.I don't have the jam to try it on large specimens..but have done it a couple of times with small specimens.I'd try a couple of times on a smaller..inexpensive T before a large expensive T in case of an accident/possibilty of being bitten.T's are amazingly fast and agile...too fast and agile for me for pinning..lol...I'll stick to the container capture/examination method...lol....peace..

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Maybe pinning/preserving as in dead insect/T..lol...I thought you meant pinning as in capturing live specimens..lol..:? Well someone else will have to help out there..peace...

Last edited:

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i don't think many people who keep Ts as pets also keep their dead bodies on display...dunno though. :)

i'd maybe try contacting a university or something.

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
Originally posted by pelo
I'd try a couple of times on a smaller..inexpensive T before a large expensive T in case of an accident/possibilty of being bitten.
uh oh...i think you may have said the magic words to get grael to start up on a "you don't deserve to own tarantulas because you should love them and treat them all with respect regardless of price" rant...

to longbord—instead of JUST pinning, i'd look into having an experienced insect taxidermist do it for you instead. dead tarantulas, if not properly, er, "stuffed," will smell horribly and attract bugs.

Last edited:

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Thanks Krystal, you brought up the point I was going to make about the fact that Ts, unlike insects do start to decompose and get rather smelly. You'll need to dissect out most all the guts from there and maybe even the carapace then reassemble stuffed to have one dry properly. Otherwise they will smell up your drying room for a time and shrink and discolor

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by krystal
uh oh...i think you may have said the magic words to get grael to start up on a "you don't deserve to own tarantulas because you should love them and treat them all with respect regardless of price" rant...

to longbord—instead of JUST pinning, i'd look into having an experienced insect taxidermist do it for you instead. dead tarantulas, if not properly, er, "stuffed," will smell horribly and attract bugs.
Actually, I was gonna say that. You took the words right out of my... uhh fingers.

Anyhow, I used to do that all the time with crabs. Where I grew up, Every year crabs would crawl all over the place. I mean they were everywhere. Sometimes we just "pin" them and throw them into the boiling water.

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
there's a guy that lives in WI that does some awesome pinning. he had a booth at the mall a while ago. he does some amazing work!!! i'll see if i can find his card. he had a really awesome Xenesthis immanis (male) plus a bunch of other t's and even a t looking like it was fighting a scorpion. like i said i'll try to find his card and i'll scan it & post it.

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i know how to pin most insects it's quite easy i'll post some directions on the forum for all to see

Last edited: