Pinky pump ammo

Zarathustra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a pair of leucistic pine snakes that refuse to eat on their own. I have tried every trick in the book, and then some, but they will not voluntarily eat. I had no choice but to break out the pinky pump and force feed them. However, I absolutely can not force the plunger down with one hand while the other holds the snake. I had to shoot the pinkies into a small container, and then reload the extruded pinkies into the pinky pump for easier operation. This is completely disgusting, and I don’t want to do it again.

Can anyone here suggest an alternative meat to put in the pump? I was thinking hamburger laced with a calcium supplement, but I would like to get a second opinion. I also read somewhere that liver works too. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Like a syringe that you put a pinky in and it has a tube that you put in the snakes mouth, when you smash the pinky down in it it squirts mushed pinky down the snakes mouth...

~Samuel

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
WOW that really *is* completely disgusting. {D I'm not sure what to suggest, though--I'd be very hesitant to feed them any meat which is not a natural part of their diet, like beef. Then there's the question of whether they could even handle cooked hamburger, but raw hamburger might be just as bad. Plus preservative chemicals and whatever else goes into meat intended for human use, I dunno. :eek:

This whole situation just sounds bad, it's terrible that this is the only option left, when it probably just stresses them out about feeding even worse. I hate that it sounds so hopeless for the little guys. :( How long has it been since they ate/how big are they/etc?

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
I've also heard beef heart can be used in case of emergency. I know Fluckers has an emergency feeding solution call Repta-aid, that might work better. Though to keep having to force feed them is not a viable long term care option.

When you said you tried everything what does that include. Does that include things like dipping the pinkie in warm chicken broth, or scenting hem with a lizard or even hamster or gerbil.

Good luck I know how it is to have a snake that refuses to eat

Zarathustra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This whole situation just sounds bad, it's terrible that this is the only option left, when it probably just stresses them out about feeding even worse. I hate that it sounds so hopeless for the little guys. :( How long has it been since they ate/how big are they/etc?
It’s approaching about 2 months now. They are the most stubborn snakes I’ve ever had.

Zarathustra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When you said you tried everything what does that include. Does that include things like dipping the pinkie in warm chicken broth, or scenting hem with a lizard or even hamster or gerbil.
I haven’t tried chicken broth. I didn’t know that was a turn on for them, but I’ll have a go at it. I’ll do anything if it keeps me from using the nasty pinky pump. Thanks for the tip.

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The pinkie pump is a valuble bit of kit for saving lives if used correctly. Disgusting though it is, the best method is to get a bowlful of defrosted pinkies (or rat pups) and whizz them into a 'soup' using a handheld blender (get a cheap one just for this job, DO NOT use your regular one from the kitchen!). Then you can aspirate (draw up) a syringeful and feed the snakes that way. I know this sounds disgusting and, quite frankly, it is pretty gross, but as a dedicated owner you should overcome any adversities you have to the above procedure in order to do the right thing for your snakes. If you are unable to do it, hand the snakes over to someone who can.

I strongly discourage you from attemping to use anything except rodents in the pinkie pump. Appart from having entirely the wrong levels of nutrition required for healthy snakes, just think about all the preservatives and chemicals that go into human grade food! Human meats also tend to be very high in sodium as well - you don't want to be pumping all those impurities into an already weak snake do you?

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We have force fed a snake at work a mixture of an electrolyte solution and some special dog food used for force feeding puppies who won't eat. I know snakes don't eat dog food, but it was basically protein and calories, both things the snake needed. This was all done under the supervision of the on staff vet. The snake did pull through, but the next step was going to be the 25 pinkies in a blender coolata.

markface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
avic addict definately has the right of it . blended pinkies or fuzzies is the way to go if you need to tube feed snakes .

have you tried assist feeding or force feeding ? both are viable options . assist feeding is not that dificult , but force feeding should only be done by someone who has experience with it as this method can do serious damage if done wrong .