pinky mice

arachnomop

Arachnopeon
im wandering (again ... i do alot of that:p ) at what size is it ok for me to feed my spider pinky's? like what size should my spider be ...
since im an australian im no godo with inches:? how many cm in an inch?:rolleyes:

ur prolby all thinkin "stupid ignorant little australian" haha:D

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey,
Done a lot of calculating myself, 1 inch is 2,5 cm, so that's not too hard (I have more problems with fahrenheit-celcius, don't know what you use in Australia, but if it's celcius, this is the formula for converting: Tc = (5/9)*(Tf-32) . I just gave my L. parahybana its first pinkie, it's about 9 cm legspan. I guess you could give a pinkie if the T is smaller, but don't know if it will finish it completely (if it doesn't, it's gonna stink fast!)
greetz,
Joost

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

A generally accepted practice is not to feed your T anything live that is bigger than its abdomen and carapace togethor. As far as dead meals are concerned, youd be surprised at how quickly they can finish them off.

-V

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I thought I would post this picture once again just to show that small spiders can eat big meals. This is my Brazilian Salmon Pink. She is two inches in body length and she ate an anole with a three inch body length and a four inch tail.

Attachments

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Arachnomop-

I doubt that anyone here thinks you're stupid or ignorant. In fact, since none of us in the rest of the world are allowed to have Australian spiders, many of us are very interested in your experiences! None of us is likley to have had any experience with the species you have, however, since it is illegal to import or export wildlife to or from Australia. We can only dream about a "Queensland birdeater"! We can offer experience about tarantulas in general.

Even relatively small T's can eat pinkies, especially if the mouse is dead. Like Josst says, though, make sure you clean up afterwards!

Wade

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Love that picture

Hey Jacenbeers, I can't get enough of that anole picture. You said before that the brazillian pink attacked it almost immediately. has anyone else used an anole lizard as a feeder? i'm a little apprehensive about someday using one because i've seen them in action before and they're fast. i'd be worried that it might escape death and try for a counterattack.
The Rookie

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
what is it like to feed a T a LIVE pinkie ?? I have one picture saved of that, but whats it like ? Does the pinkie screeeam or squeek or gasp in agony ?? I am tempted to give a live one, but Im not sure if I can.

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
spider_savior.......i dont know but as soon as the local pet store gets another batch of pinkies im gonna try feeding one to my 5" male G. rosea.......i have read that sometimes they will scream (squeak) for a while while the spider munches down.......if mine will even eat one, i will let you gus/gals know the outcome...

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello,

I would make sure that your T is hungry. I cannot tell you how many times I have bought crickets and had to thrown them out or turn them loose cause my T was just not hungry.

Crickets don't cost that much but Pinkys can get expensive if you buy them and have to throw them out cause T aint in the eating mood.

One more warning, this one comes from personal experiance: carefull about feeding Anoles to your T's. I had a t lose a leg to an aggresive anole.

Good luck,

-Charlie

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pinkies can make the most hart wrenching sounds well being killed! It takes up to a hour for the thing to stop screming! I have moved on and use thawed pinkies instead. (I can't take the sound)

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well i figure if my spider doesnt want the pinkie....one of my 6 cats would love it!!

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The more noise, struggle and gore the better. The great thing about tarantulas is that they are entertaining. What is greater than watching a helpless baby die to an evil spider? I enjoyed the anole being eaten in the photo above. It was fun to watch.

arachnomop

Arachnopeon
thank u

thanks very much for the conversions there joost

and thank u for all the advice etc, illt aske it into account

all i can say about the spiders over here (australia) is they r fast and venomous ... there aren't a terrible amount of T's here which is a let down, coz id like to have some of the ones u guys have. there is anuther T in aust which is closely related to mine called the barking/whistling spider ... named for the noise it makes when its disturbed (rubs its fangs with its papls and sounds like a thumbnail on a comb ... uc an hear it from abut 2 metres away)

thanks for the moral boost wade ha ha
--phil

PS - i believe that the more noise a prey-animal make while getting eaten the better

Case

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Heh, around where I live (southern US), I sometimes hear people use the term "barking spider."
Except usually it is when someone farts, they will look around and say, "That must have been one of those darn barking spiders!"
:)

Scott Case

AussieTkeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
arachnomop said:
thanks very much for the conversions there joost

and thank u for all the advice etc, illt aske it into account

all i can say about the spiders over here (australia) is they r fast and venomous ... there aren't a terrible amount of T's here which is a let down, coz id like to have some of the ones u guys have. there is anuther T in aust which is closely related to mine called the barking/whistling spider ... named for the noise it makes when its disturbed (rubs its fangs with its papls and sounds like a thumbnail on a comb ... uc an hear it from abut 2 metres away)

thanks for the moral boost wade ha ha
--phil

PS - i believe that the more noise a prey-animal make while getting eaten the better

There has been alot of dicussion about the "bird eater" and the barking/whislting spider"

but really its just a commeon genric name for all our Tarantulas, its a name people who dont know what to call them like pet stores, they dont know what sp it is so they just call it a bird eater (in fact they rarely eat birds) personally i dont agree with calling them bird eaters or barking spider.
Whats wrong with Australian Tarantula?

EG: i rang a pet store who has dealt with T's for a long time and i asked what sp of T's he has for sale and his reply was i have never sold T's but i do sell QLD bird eaters i tried to explain that they are the same thing, all i got was a rude reply and being hung up on

so IMO there is a big misconseption out there and the work Steve Nunn and Dr Rob Raven is doing in ID'ing the T is very important :)

(sorry for the rant but its a pet hate of mine i dont like the name birdeater lol)

Jason

girlsfavtoy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I fed my G.Rosea a Fuzzy before, and i don't think i can do it again. The T was at it's usally area, while the Fuzzy blindly was circling the tank without getting to close to the T. When the Fuzzy got close, the T reared back onto it's legs (defensive stance), than the Fuzzy positioned itself right beneath the T's fangs. I heard a short squeal, and movements only lasted about 10 seconds. The T clamped down right onto the Fuzzy's back. The next morning i found a ball of Fuzzy remains with a leg bone sticking out of it.

wolfpak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i was considering feeding my A. seemani a pinkie today, but i read in some threads about the hazards of feeding them pinkies (too much calcium). should i still go ahead and feed her one :?

girlsfavtoy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Up to you, when you get down to it. In the wild Ts eat anything from small mammals to birds, so i doubt one pinky/fuzzy is going to harm your T when it eats it.

meatbeef

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I feed some of my Bigger T's pinkies three, sometimes four a month. My wife breeds mice for our Beardies and as Jacen said...
It's good entertainment when I'm home alone (with the Bong and a cupboard full of fantastic delicious treats!)

Cheers jacen!
Robbio