Pinktoe stopped eating

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
About a month ago, my beautiful Aviculara Aviculara (Pinktoe) adult female Krang stopped eating.

She still looks really fat and healthy....she comes out of her skull (hide) and sits on the branch every day.

I am keeping the temps around 75 in that room and misting her cage at least once a day.....

I'm not sure if she's about to moult or just on a little diet of some sort

Any advice/info would be appreciated~~~

Thanx~

Lindsay

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Depends on how much you have been feeding it, but it soulds like a lot if you say it's fat. 2-4 crickets a month are enough for adult T's, at times one more for good measure pehaps. Could be that it's full, but it would almost be more likely to be in pre-moult. How long have you had it for?

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Depends on how much you have been feeding it, but it soulds like a lot if you say it's fat. 2-4 crickets a month are enough for adult T's, at times one more for good measure pehaps. Could be that it's full, but it would almost be more likely to be in pre-moult. How long have you had it for?
I had heard from somewhere that she needed to be fed half a dozen crickets a week....haha, I guess that is way off. Well, I got her from a reptile show in November and she ate like crazy when I first got her....This one time, she already had a cricket in her mouth and grabbed another one.

Do T's do a lot of self imposed fasting?

I will attach some pics of her so you can see....she's not FAT, but a healthy looking girl....

Last edited:

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Yeah she looks good, a tad much for my personal preference maybe ;) . I like arboreals light weight, just so they have a safer time climbing.

T's will eat whatever they get unless they "snap" and fast. Most often though that's the case prior to moulting. Some ground dwellers like Grammostola rosea are notorious fasters, mature male T's will also often fast since they have other stuff to think about than food ;).

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
just feed her less in the future - and molkt or no, she will get hungry again!

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yep, she had to moult after all

I came home from work yesterday and saw another "spider" in the cage with her

Phew, glad that's over, I was worried:}

ctsoth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Now just be sure to give her ~2 weeks to harden up :)

Peace

Chris

mandolin101

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cool

I just got an A. avilcularia sling. Its really neat looking, but hasnt eaten in the week that I've had it. I hope its ok.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just got an A. avilcularia sling. Its really neat looking, but hasnt eaten in the week that I've had it. I hope its ok.
Somes if the prey is bigger than the tarantula its self he may avoid the food all together.

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
More often then not, they will eat overnight and in such a stealthy manner that you wonder if the prey item escaped. I leave crickets in my avics tank all day and even if they bump her web or walk right next to her, she wont budge. Next morning, all gone.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, my Avic also made the crickets magically disappear every night too....and when she really did stop eating, she moulted a month and a half later.

adbdasT

Arachnopeon
hey, quick question about slings not eating. I've killed several different insects (crickets, meal worms), and the thing didn't touch any of them. Suggestions? And i don't think its in premolt, still very skittish.

BTW - It's an A. Chacoana sling

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As long as mist once and a while so it gets some water it should be fine. You can offer prey ever 3 days or so and if it goes untouched then remove it and just wait. Its a waiting game most of the time. Patience goes a long way.:p